Making a dent in my mortgage from free money.

The idea all started off early 2023, when I wanted to open a 7% regular saver with First Direct and noticed they had a £175 bank account switch offer as well.  The process was so straight forward and got me thinking:
  • What other offers are out there?
  • How much could I potentially earn over time?
  • What would I do with the 'free' bonus money?
The answer I came up with, is the title of this thread.

I plan to invest any free funds from offers I complete, and let them grow over time to see how much of my mortgage they could potentially pay off.  If this would be of interest to others, I will try to post regular updates to the thread.  If anyone also has any suggestions, please feel free to share ideas as I'm sure it could help others out as well.

As things stand today, I have completed / started these offers in 2023:

Bonus Received £180
  • £175 First Direct account switch.
  • £5 Monzo - RAF new account offer
Bonus Ongoing £338
  • £200 Natwest account switch.
  • £50 CMC Invest
  • £50 Octopus Energy RAF switch (their rates were cheaper than Scottish Gas I was with).
  • £30 Wombat RAF - £10 per referral.
  • £8 Wealthyhood RAF - free ETF.
All in all, the above was probably under 1 hours effort, so if I receive all £518, its a decent start.  I am going to invest the bonus funds in a global equity ETF - something like HMWO or VWRP, and continue the process for as long as there are some relatively easy/simple offers out there and hopefully in 5-10 years time it can make a nice dent to my mortgage.

Other offers I am currently looking at is the £125 COOP bank switch, and the BestInvest RAF offer - Invest £1000 for 120 days, and get a £100 bonus, and a further £100 if you switch another GIA/ISA over.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback