I want a home gym

Options
I really want to lose some weight and whilst financially a subscription to the gym would probably work out cheaper, I don't have the confidence to go to the gym.

I'm on the larger side, it's fair to say, and I don't feel confident to put my body on show at the gym, or make a fool of myself. I wondered if anyone else has set up their own home gym because of this? I'm not sure what basics I need to buy or where to get them? Can anyone help please?

Comments

• The_Unready
    The_Unready Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The first question you should ask is how much space you have available for a home gym, and where is that space in relation to the house?
  • MScofield9
    MScofield9 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've managed to clear a bunch of clutter from the garage, so I've got roughly 16ft width by x  11ft depth. So about 240ft squared
  • JGreenwood
    JGreenwood Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It's a shame you feel that way. If it it's weight you're trying to lose, then possibly a treadmill or a rowing machine could be a good place to start
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi OP

You have the space, you will need to warm it up. The equipment, some of it is at eye watering prices. I dont buy anyhting used other than a car years ago. However, many people splash out of those static bikes that can cost hundreds if not more, rowing machines, weigh machines but hardly use them and can be bought at decent prices used but are like new

Thnaks
  • MScofield9
    First Post
    Options
    I did wonder whether second hand is a good approach, however given the nature of gym equipment a lot of it will have had fairly substantial use I'd assume?

I had considered Facebook marketplace or ebay
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I would advise against splashing out on anything too expensive off the bat. Especially as most home gym equipment is usually bought with good intentions, but end up gathering dust.

If you're on the larger size, then just doing more that you currently do will be a great first step to getting stronger.
    Try things like skipping, body weight exercises (squats etc) and a few dumbbell workouts. You can usually pick something up cheap on fb marketplace. The trick is finding what you enjoy and what you can stick with.
    There are loads of good beginner workouts on youtube to follow.

Start small and if you find it sticking and you want to push harder, then you'll have a better idea of what you want to focus on, and can look at specific equipment to match your interest (ie static bike, rower, punching bag)

Good luck!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • saveallmymoney
    Options
    You can get ex gym bikes, treadmills and cross trainers on eBay. These are really robust and will last a very long time.
  • MScofield9
    First Post
    Options
    I would advise against splashing out on anything too expensive off the bat. Especially as most home gym equipment is usually bought with good intentions, but end up gathering dust.

If you're on the larger size, then just doing more that you currently do will be a great first step to getting stronger.
    Try things like skipping, body weight exercises (squats etc) and a few dumbbell workouts. You can usually pick something up cheap on fb marketplace. The trick is finding what you enjoy and what you can stick with.
    There are loads of good beginner workouts on youtube to follow.

Start small and if you find it sticking and you want to push harder, then you'll have a better idea of what you want to focus on, and can look at specific equipment to match your interest (ie static bike, rower, punching bag)

Good luck!
    I do think dumbell workouts could be a good start for me, surely I can get some cheap like you say.

Obviously I only want to spend money on things that are going to be worthwhile for me.

I can't say I've ever been a sporty person, so I don't any particular interest in a sport I can focus my fitness around. I'm hoping that this might open my eyes to possibly some sort of sport/exercise I could enjoy.
  • MScofield9
    First Post
    Options
    I've been looking on Mirafit at the dumbells, has anyone bought these before? What's a good price for a set of soft touch dumbells?
  • JGreenwood
    JGreenwood Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Mirafit are pretty good, and they've got some really cheap dumbells. I doubt you'd get them much cheaper elsewhere. Make sure you use a mirafit discount code there's currently up to £8 off their orange soft touch ones.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback