Rail Fare increase starting 5th march

How can we check the rail fare price?

I search online in thetrainline, the price after 5th march is the same.

Does the price change effect from 5th March?

Comments

• James_Londoner
    James_Londoner Posts: 54
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 March 2023 at 9:07PM
    Yes, the new fares won't actually be made public till Sunday (apparently at Government insistence).

If you buy a ticket now for travel on Sunday or dates thereafter, you can pay the old price.

(Trainline is rarely the best option for buying rail tickets - they charge fees you can avoid by using the website of any train operator.) 
    testing 123
  • tracyyi
    tracyyi Posts: 83
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, the new fares won't actually be made public till Sunday (apparently at Government insistence).

If you buy a ticket now for travel on Sunday or dates thereafter, you can pay the old price.

(Trainline is rarely the best option for buying rail tickets - they charge fees you can avoid by using the website of any train operator.) 
    Thank you for your reply. 

How can I know how much my fare increasing?
    (I use Trainline just to check the price and schedule)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,385
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2023 at 8:31AM
    Please provide details of the journey, ticket type and and travel times for a meaningful response.
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,107
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Community Admin
    If you check the fare on Sunday you will see the new prices - that's the only way of getting a definite answer rather than an approximation.

The way fares are regulated means you can't just add a simple percentage onto today's fare.
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to [email protected]
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,749
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TfL have published their fares now.

But the Department for Transport don't allow their main rail fares to be published early.

If you are travelling in the next few weeks you can buy the ticket now at the current price.
  • tracyyi
    tracyyi Posts: 83
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jon81uk said:

But the Department for Transport don't allow their main rail fares to be published early.

If you are travelling in the next few weeks you can buy the ticket now at the current price.
    Thank you.

tfl is only for London area.

I am taking the regular train from Bristol to Salisbury.

And I want to know the price after 5th March. I am not sure which date I am travelling, so is very hard to purchase earlier. 

Some fare is increased, some fare is not. 

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,749
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tracyyi said:
    jon81uk said:

Thank you.

tfl is only for London area.

I am taking the regular train from Bristol to Salisbury.

And I want to know the price after 5th March. I am not sure which date I am travelling, so is very hard to purchase earlier. 

Some fare is increased, some fare is not. 

the Department for Transport don't allow their main rail fares to be published early.
    So you will have to wait until next week to find the price.
  • The return rail cost from Bristol to London seems to have more then doubled to around £100  since I last travelled late last year, with no cheaper fares.  Previously, there were certain train where you could travel for around £25 single.  Not sure if this is the result of the the much touted streamlining of fares.  But it wont see me travelling anymore by train to London. 
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,107
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Community Admin
    The cheapest GWR advance from Bristol to London is still £25 but operators have always varied how many of the cheapest tickets are available, according to demand/capacity.

It will depend on the dates you are looking at - if you were looking at a date affected by strike action, or a busy time around Easter etc, then fewer (or none) of the lower price tier tickets are likely to be available.
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to [email protected]
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport