What happens to petrol and electrical items which are junked?

Council recycling centres must take in a lot of thrown out household and garden items that could be repaired such as petrol and electrical powered garden equipment, electrical powered household items (from toasters to dishwashers, computers, hair dryers - you name it!). What happens to such items?

I can't help but wonder if any councils allow the public to buy such items for repair. Or are there some silly rules and regulations which prevent this? (possibly implemented to prop up the economy to ensure that people replace items instead or repair them?).

It just seems to me that there must be an incredible amount of junked items which could be repaired by those with the relevant skills.


Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools