Onlays and Fillings

My onlay has come off my tooth. My dentist says that they no longer do onlays on the NHS. Also, she says that they only have 3 shades to match my teeth for fillings. Is this true? Where can I get up to date information about this? I receive free treatment due to several health issues.  

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,073 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Within the NHS contract, the individual dental practices are pretty much allowed to set their own policies in what they will or won't do in order to keep treatments cost effective. 

So long as they're offering you some way of fixing it, they don't have to offer you every single possibility. When it comes to aesthetics, this is also low priority on the NHS, so a limited shade selection would also be acceptable.

Just because this particular practice is doing this though, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to find a practice somewhere that would give you more options on the NHS.

Bear in mind that more and more practices are ending their NHS contracts due to the poor funding and targets - I think those that are still offering it will be more and more likely to limit the treatment options as much as they are allowed to within the framework. 
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Very helpful. Thanks.
  • Had Root canal 10 years ago on a bottom right molar, and then a filling placed on top , it has worn down. An x ray yesterday at the dentist showed that something needs to be done. the dentist of course recommended a private onlay which would cost £800, or get a crown via the nhs which would cost £250 . However, i see the nhs band 3 offer onlays so when i rang up the dentist i was told i can’t have a metal onlay as there isn’t enough tooth . is this true ? as it’s the same procedure so why can one be done and not the other.  

looking forward to your response 
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IQHand said:
    Had Root canal 10 years ago on a bottom right molar, and then a filling placed on top , it has worn down. An x ray yesterday at the dentist showed that something needs to be done. the dentist of course recommended a private onlay which would cost £800, or get a crown via the nhs which would cost £250 . However, i see the nhs band 3 offer onlays so when i rang up the dentist i was told i can’t have a metal onlay as there isn’t enough tooth . is this true ? as it’s the same procedure so why can one be done and not the other.  

looking forward to your response 
    You would be better starting a new thread rather than tacking a question onto one that was last active seven months ago. Hopefully one of the helpful dentist who post here will see it and reply.

For what it is worth, my layman's understanding is that metal crowns (onlays may be different) involve removing less of the the original tooth than nice looking tooth coloured ones.

The NHS will only provide a tooth coloured crown for teeth near the front of the mouth where it would be very visible. I don't know if there is a hard and fast cut off point or if there is any room for a judgement call.

Also be aware that dentists lose money providing some more comples NHS treatments. Sadly that may colour the advice given by some who are less than scrupulous!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback