hp on car

Options
shezzy
shezzy Posts: 104 Forumite
Could anybody give me some advice, we have a car that we got on hp with blackhorse through carcraft 3years ago, we are having difficulty paying the agreed monthly amount, the car was 7000 but through hp rose to 16000, so we owe 4000 on it. What happens if we cannot pay any more payments, will they take the car back or can we sell it and pay it towards the amount left?

Any advice would be great

shezzy

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have paid more than 50% of the payments you can return the car with no further payments required.

Look on the back of the finance agreement for details.
  • shezzy
    Options
    nothing on the back of the agreement ??
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    look on the front?
  • shezzy
    Options
    nope....nothing there, just figures of the amount payable, three years it was £9295 with apr 16.9 and over five years adds upto £16174, yikes:confused:
  • shezzy
    Options
    just seen plan "personal loan" at the top of the page.....does that mean we can sell it and it's not on hp then?? sorry i sound dim!
  • peggydoodaa
    Options
    shezzy wrote: »
    nope....nothing there, just figures of the amount payable, three years it was £9295 with apr 16.9 and over five years adds upto £16174, yikes:confused:

Contact Blackhorse & find out a final settlement figure. If you can sell the car privately for that price or more, then it might be worth doing it to pay off the finance.
    You may be hit with fee for paying it off early, ie. a month's worth of interest which you should check is included in the settlement figure.
    I may be shy, but that doesn't make me an angel ;)
  • shezzy
    Options
    wonder if they would just take the car and call it quits as we still owe £4500 and it will sell for about £2500 if we are lucky?
  • tupperware
    Options
    shezzy wrote: »
    wonder if they would just take the car and call it quits as we still owe £4500 and it will sell for about £2500 if we are lucky?

If it is on personal loan do NOT under any circumstances attempt to return the vehicle. It would be sold at an auction and you wouldn't get anything near the value of the car. If you are desperate to get rid of the car then try and sell it for as much as you can but keep in mind that all funds from the sale of the vehicle must be paid towards the loan amount.

I would probably suggest speaking with BH. Ask about the possibility of a modification. This would mean extending your agreement with lower monthly payments and keeping the car.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,588 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Any loan agreement should contain all the terms and conditions - not just a loan figure, APR and amount payable - check all your paperwork in relation to the car loan. One thing it will also cover is what happens if you default - i.e. stop making payments.

I have returned a car on HP - called the finance company they sent a form for me to fill in which I sent back. I then had a day to get the car to the local auction house.

I had nothing more to pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport