Change percentage ownership in B2L

Hi. My son and I own a B2L property and own it as tenants in common 50/50 with a mortgage. If we wanted to change the percentage share, would we need the lenders permission? Would we also have to pay CGT based on the change (no cash would be changing hands)? Trying to see if this is a way to maximise the CGT allowance before it changes, and if it is straightforward to do. Thanks.


  • ACGACG Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    I dont actually know the answer, but I suspect it would just be down to a solicitor/land registry and the lender would not need to be involved. 

    As for CGT - thats one for an accountant I think. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    13.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Even though no money would change hands any transfer would be subject to CGT based on current market value as you are connected persons.

    Once done are you planing to distribute rental income based on the new division of ownership? 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin and MSE campaign win

April's 20% energy price guarantee hike postponed

MSE News

Childcare budget boost

More support for children from nine months and those on Universal Credit

MSE News

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools