Council tax band change

2»

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,804 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    THey
    suejy said:
    Got online bank statements. The only reason they gave for not paying it is because they had a new computer system that only went back to 2014.  But surely they have records of what the standard council tax rates were from day dot.  You can Google them too 🤦🏼‍♀️ I just think they are fobbing me off. 
    Yes they could work out how much you should have paid if they had kept a record of the amount charged per band, but they won't know how much you actually paid as the records have been destroyed  For example, you may have been claiming Single Person Discount from 2003 to 2013, so you would have paid 25% less CT each year and so would only be due a refund of 75% of the difference between Bands F and E for that period
    If they have no records, they also can't confirm that it's the OP that originally paid the tax and so is due the refund - it could be previous owner/occupiers or tenants of the OP.
    If the OP can't show that they paid it for that particular property then I don't see how it can be proved or disproved.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    THey
    suejy said:
    Got online bank statements. The only reason they gave for not paying it is because they had a new computer system that only went back to 2014.  But surely they have records of what the standard council tax rates were from day dot.  You can Google them too 🤦🏼‍♀️ I just think they are fobbing me off. 
    Yes they could work out how much you should have paid if they had kept a record of the amount charged per band, but they won't know how much you actually paid as the records have been destroyed  For example, you may have been claiming Single Person Discount from 2003 to 2013, so you would have paid 25% less CT each year and so would only be due a refund of 75% of the difference between Bands F and E for that period
    If they have no records, they also can't confirm that it's the OP that originally paid the tax and so is due the refund - it could be previous owner/occupiers or tenants of the OP.
    If the OP can't show that they paid it for that particular property then I don't see how it can be proved or disproved.
    Good point
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Our council tax was rebanded from F to E and we received a refund for 17 years of overpayments. We received two separate payments. One was for the more recent years and the other payment came later as they had to check the records in the archives. We didn’t have any challenge from them about paying the 17 years back. They said from the outset they would refund all the years of overpayments. I would suggest you send some proof that you were living there at the start of the period e.g. bank statement, mortgage statement or agreement e.t.c. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback