Advice please I was offered a new job in January contract signed but no start date

Options
dizzybee
dizzybee Posts: 1,415 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 13 February 2023 at 2:43PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I was offered a new job in January working has a support worker, but despite signing a contract i still don't have a start date due to the fact that people haven't moved into the unit yet, my problem is my wage from my last job is running out and i'm worried i won't be able to pay the bills next month, 
I have never claimed benefits so not sure i would be able to sign on temporary, luckily i don't have debts just everyday bills 

SPC no:076

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    dizzybee said:
    I was offered a new job in January working has a support worker, but despite signing a contract i still don't have a start date due to the fact that people haven't moved into the unit yet, my problem is my wage from my last job is running out and i'm worried i won't be able to pay the bills next month, 
    I have never claimed benefits so not sure i would be able to sign on temporary, luckily i don't have debts just everyday bills 

If you can't start your new role until 'the people have moved into the unit', then you would only be entitled to be paid if your contract gives you some sort of right to be employed from a particular date.

What does your contract say about a start date? 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • dizzybee
    Options
    Marcon said:
    dizzybee said:

If you can't start your new role until 'the people have moved into the unit', then you would only be entitled to be paid if your contract gives you some sort of right to be employed from a particular date.

there is no start date on my contract,i signed my contract on the 6th of Jan i have asked them on a start date and they just say they cant give me a date until people have moved in ,so i was thinking of signing up to a agency for the meantime just to make sure i have some money to cover bills but now my friends say you cant do this if you have signed with a different company, i am waiting for someone from the company to contact me so i can get more details  

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 February 2023 at 4:31PM
    Options
    I would go back to them and ask 'when are the people moving in',  if they don't give a clear answer, ask what is the hold up / when wil lthe problems etc be sorted.

Good idea to sign up to an agency or two in the mean time.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,672 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    dizzybee said:
    Marcon said:
    dizzybee said:

there is no start date on my contract,i signed my contract on the 6th of Jan i have asked them on a start date and they just say they cant give me a date until people have moved in ,so i was thinking of signing up to a agency for the meantime just to make sure i have some money to cover bills but now my friends say you cant do this if you have signed with a different company, i am waiting for someone from the company to contact me so i can get more details  
    Sometimes listening to your friends isn't the best idea. If you haven't agreed a start date, then you are perfectly entitled to seek other employment to pay the bills! Make sure your new employer knows what you plan to do and why, and that any agency you approach is also aware of the position.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • dizzybee
    Options
    thank you for the help i have sent a email asking for more information and to also explain that i need to find temporary work until they can give me a start date, tomorrow i am going to contact agencys to see whats avabile,

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 February 2023 at 12:26PM
    Options
    Had your previous job ended anyway or did you resign based on having got the new job? If the latter then it's best never to resign until you have a firm start date, for exactly the situation you now find yourself in. Is there any chance your previous emplyer would offer you temporary work while you wait to get a start date?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback