We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help What percent will companies accept to settle an old debt?

I've been carrying interest suspended debts for 4 years as I've been off work. I recently got help from family and have a lump sum with which I can hopefully start settling the debts with. I can't repay the whole debt and was hoping someone would know how I go about approaching companies to offer them a percent settlement figure. And what sort of percentage they are likely to accept? I was told that it was better to offer them all the same percent as full and final payment dividing up the lump sum equally. I have been really ill with worry over this debt and would love to see an end to it. Can anybody advise? Thank you

Comments

  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,935 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    There are several threads on this subject so invest a couple of hours and go though this forum and read them all.

    Basicly you write to the companies involved offering a 'full and final settlement' of each debt. Some will say yes others will ignore you. Start by offering an even amount to everyone, say 50% (do not offer all your lump sum on the first letter). Then negotiate with each company individually. Sometimes they accept as low as 20%, which is very rare. Other times they want 80%.

    If you post the details of each debt and how much your lump sum is you will get more detailed advice.
    Regards



    X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

    Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Malestrom
    Malestrom Posts: 983 Forumite
    He huihuinga taangata he pukenga whakaaro – A meeting of people; a wellspring of ideas (Maori proverb)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.