My wife has never worked, how can she get her state pension?

she is 40s,we have a property to let, I have been working. any ideas please? someone told  me she can do the self accessment tax returns and starts from there

Comments

• she is 40s,we have a property to let, I have been working. any ideas please? someone told  me she can do the self accessment tax returns and starts from there
    Why isn't she already doing them?  But rental income doesn't usually allow you to pay Class 2 NI.

Class 3 NI is a common route or credits from getting Child Benefit may be another.

Has she checked her current forecast on gov.uk?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Has she checked her situation here?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

What exactly does the forecast say?

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,647 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    she is 40s,we have a property to let, I have been working. any ideas please? someone told  me she can do the self accessment tax returns and starts from there
    Why hasn't she been working? The answer to that might mean that she qualifies for NI credits: https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 February 2023 at 12:47PM
    Except the intense jealousy I have at the idea someone in their 40s having never worked, the reason people are asking why is because if you had children then her claiming child benefit would generate national insurance contributions. It's the general strategy for stay at home parents.

If she is just in the fortunate position that you are both flush with cash and she hasn't needed to work (and you don't have children), the objective view would be your wife wouldn't get a state pension as she hasn't contributed anything towards it.

You can however buy missing years through voluntary contributions, if you have the disposable cash. It's generally good value but you should always seek professional advice.
    Know what you don't
  • If she is in her 40s she may well have 20+ years to go until state pension age, so still time to accrue some state pension.
    It's just my opinion and not advice.
  • Simon11
    Simon11 Posts: 751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Exodi said:
    Except the intense jealousy I have at the idea someone in their 40s having never worked, the reason people are asking why is because if you had children then her claiming child benefit would generate national insurance contributions. It's the general strategy for stay at home parents.

If she is just in the fortunate position that you are both flush with cash and she hasn't needed to work (and you don't have children), the objective view would be your wife wouldn't get a state pension as she hasn't contributed anything towards it.

You can however buy missing years through voluntary contributions, if you have the disposable cash. It's generally good value but you should always seek professional advice.
    I am potentially slightly concerned that the poster doesn't seem to be fully up to speed with what self assessment is and surely would have looked into this as...based on the limited information above at least one of them should be doing the self assessment in order to pay appropriate tax on the property which is rented out (or is this managed through a limited company? ).
    "No likey no need to hit thanks button!":p
    However its always nice to be thanked if you feel mine and other people's posts here offer great advice:D So hit the button if you likey:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback