equity release

Options
My father took out an equity release in 1999. This is a compund interest of 7.5%. He passed away and now the debt is owed by my mother. There is a penalty for early payment which is tied to guilts. They really new nothing about all of this  and now looking into paying it off it seems that as it was a life time mortguage there will be a sum retained by the lender (which has changed due to the original company being sold) till the death of my mother. So even if she wanted to she cannot completly pay of the debt. Luckily the equity in the house they have oened since 1973 has increased and she could do this on its sale. even though the compound interest has increased to frightening levels.  It seems unfair that one cannot completely clear a debt and pay an early payment  penalty. . I am not sure if there is any way out of this situation Any ideas?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Post on the mortgage board as this is a type of mortgage and people will be able to advise.

I suspect your father took out the money because he needed to and the way equity release operates is that you don’t make repayments and the interest owed is rolled up and added to the amount required to clear the debt.

there may be options to transfer the debt to a new property if your mother wants to move. The alternative is to clear the debt.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't have experience of equity release but your parents' experience sounds really awful. And it would be interesting to know what (if anything) your mother signed previously that makes your father's debt now her debt. That needs investigating.

For help and advice, your Mum, or you if you are helping her, could do much worse than contact StepChange, one of the free debt help charities. There's information in the following link -

https://www.stepchange.org/how-we-help/equity-release.aspx

I have used StepChange myself in the past and found them to be really friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Their help is free.

Also Citizens Advice might be able to help  - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I do hope that you manage to get this sorted out, it's very worrying for you and your Mum. But one of the first things to find out is - did the debt actually pass from your father to your mother, if so how. StepChange can help with that.

All the best to you and your Mum. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • silvercar
    Options
    Sounds like the debt was your fathers and so would be a debt of his estate BUT if it is secured on the house then it will need paying, even if his estate had no money.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    And it would be interesting to know what (if anything) your mother signed previously that makes your father's debt now her debt. That needs investigating.
    Mother need not have signed anything.  The debt is secured on the property.  
  • silvercar
    Options
    MEM62 said:
    MalMonroe said:
    And it would be interesting to know what (if anything) your mother signed previously that makes your father's debt now her debt. That needs investigating.
    Mother need not have signed anything.  The debt is secured on the property.  
    Quite often a joint owner would have been required to sign something that they understood a loan was being attached to the property. I'm not sure it was a legal requirement.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback