Treadmill advice - fold flat, instead of fold up

Options
Hi there.

My wife has asked me to look into getting a beginner treadmill and I would appreciate any advice on what to look for.

It does not have to be particularly fancy - incline and sprinting speeds not necessary.

Our only real requirement is that it has to fold flat.

We have a really small property and we do not even have the room for one that folds up.

We can only really accommodate one that will fold flat and go under a bed.

What do you think of this one?

Looks pretty good but are treadmills, without handle bars a bit dangerous?

CITYSPORTS Treadmill 440W Motor,Electric Walking Machine Bluetooth Built-in Speakers,Adjustable Speed, LCD Screen&Calorie Counter,Ultra Thin and Silent,Intended for Home/Office : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't hold on while running.  Or walking.  If you feel you need to hold on, you have set the speed too high.
  • elsmandino
    elsmandino Posts: 281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2023 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Thanks for that, Grumpy - so you do not see any need to go for something with handles?

I found a few treadmills, with handles, that also fold flat - costs a bit more and trying to work out whether it is worth the extra expense.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I never use the handles while running on the treadmill.

Some people use the side bars if doing HIIT intervals as the side bars allow you to run fast, then step off safely, then straight back to running fast.  You do not sound as though you wish to do that.

The frame often provides a point from which a safety loop is connected - this device does not seem to have that in any way at all.  Then again, the specification says "Maximum Speed 6 kmph" so a safety loop is likely not required.

Having spotted that part of the specification makes me think this is really only for walking.  6 kmph is 5 k in 50 minutes.  The following article suggests even a beginner would be at or above that speed:
    https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/average-5k-time#for-beginners

What type of speed do you expect to achieve?
    You said you are not worried about sprint speeds, but are you looking for more than a fast walk?  

Before buying any type of treadmill, could you and your wife do a few sessions on a public treadmill? 
    There are often units available at Council sport centres / swimming pools / schools (out of hours) with relatively low cost pay-per-use access.
    You could also be cheeky and see whether any gyms offer a three-day free trial access for prospective new members.

If you can use a treadmill a few times to understand the type of speed you might run at now and what you might increase to, you will at least avoid spending on a unit that is inadequate for your needs.  That unit you linked is still the best part of £300, which would be a lot to waste if the product is not as capable as you need it to be.

Amazon also has other similar types of device that are not a great deal more expensive, still seem to fold as you require and faster.  Here is one example:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Treadmill-Widened-Absorption-Non-Assembly/dp/B09NLQ16YX/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_w=OTmkl&content-id=amzn1.sym.172092ab-c479-4d61-89c2-c4779d5cf2b4&pf_rd_p=172092ab-c479-4d61-89c2-c4779d5cf2b4&pf_rd_r=S67FA9GJQ65C9MWWNTCH&pd_rd_wg=mUrfN&pd_rd_r=077710da-6535-4aec-96ac-f1fde36f4b2c&pd_rd_i=B09TQK9S2T&th=1

Please note, I have never seen or used this type of unit so cannot advise on their quality, durability etc.  I only use the treadmill at the gym.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Can't you just go for a walk / run on local streets? Why do you want a treadmill?
  • elsmandino
    Options
    Thanks Grumpy - really helpful.  I totally agree that the one I mentioned above is a bit slow. As you say, you can get a lot more feature for a bit more.

I am currently now looking at this 

Reebok i-Run 3 Ultra Compact 15 HP 13 kph Running Treadmill for Home Cardio Workout Routines : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Annoying that it is was only £399.00 a few months ago.  I assume that prices have gone up as everyone rushes to buy exercise equipment in January.  Hopefully, the price will return to normal, shortly.

Although we did want something that folds flat, I think that they are compromised a bit too much on features and will have to try and find somewhere for a vertically stored treadmill.

Emmia said:
    Can't you just go for a walk / run on local streets? Why do you want a treadmill?
    Sorry should have mentioned in original post - my wife doesn't feel confident about doing any exercise outside and children/work, would mean it would be impractical at the moment as well.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 19 January 2023 at 1:36PM
    Options
    Thanks Grumpy - really helpful.  I totally agree that the one I mentioned above is a bit slow. As you say, you can get a lot more feature for a bit more.

I am currently now looking at this 

Reebok i-Run 3 Ultra Compact 15 HP 13 kph Running Treadmill for Home Cardio Workout Routines : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Annoying that it is was only £399.00 a few months ago.  I assume that prices have gone up as everyone rushes to buy exercise equipment in January.  Hopefully, the price will return to normal, shortly.

Although we did want something that folds flat, I think that they are compromised a bit too much on features and will have to try and find somewhere for a vertically stored treadmill.

Emmia said:
    Sorry should have mentioned in original post - my wife doesn't feel confident about doing any exercise outside and children/work, would mean it would be impractical at the moment as well.
    If she's looking to improve her fitness/lose weight then making trips by walking (taking children to / from school, going to the supermarket, walking to work, or part of the way to work), rather than using the car can be a good place to start. Working it into everyday activities (it's not "exercise") is also cheaper than buying a treadmill / putting petrol in the car and is really a lifestyle change... plus you can keep it up wherever you are, e.g. on holiday, you don't need exercise gear either, just supportive shoes / trainers, which she'll still need for the treadmill.

If she doesn't have time to walk outside does she have time for the treadmill? Is she really going to pull it out each day, and put it back, or will it get left under the bed / sofa gathering dust?

I once had a fold away exercise bike with the intention of using it daily, and that quickly ended up not getting used, and left under the bed. I got rid of it when I moved house. Personally, I've since realised need formal exercise classes with a start/finish to motivate me (going to a normal gym without a class appointment is also not enough motivation), so I do 3-4 spin classes a week... Day-to-day I walk as much as possible (target 10,000 steps which is about 80 - 90 mins of walking, plus 10 flights of stairs up daily). I live in London and have no car, but tube/bus is a constant temptation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback