🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgage-free calculation

Options
SadieO
SadieO Posts: 434 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 12 January 2023 at 1:07PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
I know there are a few calculators around but I can't quite see one that does what I want to work out, sorry if I am missing something obvious, this is my first mortgage! What I'd like to simply work out is, if I overpay the maximum of 10% a year, when will my mortgage be clear? I'm not sure how to account for the interest, and the monthly payments. Is the 10% overpayment over and above your monthly payments, or taking them into account too? And how do you work out the interest - obviously it's not as simple as having a £250k mortgage so if you pay off £25k then the next year you will have a balance of £225k, because interest will be added on. And then, the next year, is the permitted overpayment 10% of the remaining capital, or of the total outstanding amount including interest? 

Is there a calculator (or a spreadsheet formula) I can use to work this out? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Clueless56
    Clueless56 Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 January 2023 at 7:39PM
    Options
    This will do all the work for you: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-overpayment-calculator/ 
    You enter your mortgage balance, the monthly payment or interest rate, and the amount you wish to overpay (either in £ or as a % per month/year) and it works it all out for you.  

ETA: the results show the mortgage repayment both with and without the overpayments, to answer your other query.
  • SadieO
    SadieO Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm not sure that quite does what I'm after, as you can only enter a recurring payment in £ not as a percentage. Thanks though! 
  • Bargainhunter30
    Options
    They have changed it, you used to be able to select % for the reoccurring overpayment too
    Mortgage start date Nov 2014  - £90,545 over 25 years
    Re-mortgage Oct 2017 - 78,295 over 23 years
    Re-mortgage Jan 2020 - 55,000 over 26 years @ 1.94%
    Current Mortgage Outstanding Middle December 2020 - £
    47893.35 - a reduction of £42,652 in just over 6 years!  

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure