We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Overpaying on a Barclays mortgage - how easy is it?

Options
My wife and I are in the process of remortgaging to a Barclays mortgage and I was wondering whether any on the forum have practical experience of how easy it is to make overpayments?  We aren't currently Barclays customers so don't have a current or savings account with them.

Ideally I'd like to be able to tip in small amounts at the end of the month when we have a bit left over, or occasionally make larger lump sum overpayments.

Comments

• segovia1
    segovia1 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm just bumping as this had fallen down the board.  From the Barclays website it seems that it's only possible to make regular but ad-hoc overpayments if you have their app (for which you need a current or savings account).

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have a Barclays mortgage. You can make ad hoc payments through the website whenever you like
  • Mrs_Binxtoria
    Options
    I believe they have stopped allowing you to make payments online, you now have to download the app and you can make a debit card payment through there. You can pay up to 3 x your regular mortgage payment. I did mine easily enough the other day for the first time.  You don't need to have a current account or savings account with them to pay via the app, I don't.

Hope that helps :-)
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks @Mrs_Binxtoria - shows how often I (don't) make repayments. The ad hoc payments via the website have indeed disappeared as an option unless you have a Barclays current or savings account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback