Term time only contract. Time off for wedding

2»

Comments

• bellaboo86
    bellaboo86 Posts: 316 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would be surprised if it’s because you are asking for a full 2 weeks as it doesn’t take a fortnight to get married. If you asked for the day before, day of & day after you would probably get that if you explain about your husband working away. School budgets are under huge pressure and realistically supply probably won’t be brought in.  More than likely, other support staff may be brought in from other classes which then has a knock on effect on a lot of people. 
  • Far1974
    Far1974 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would be surprised if it’s because you are asking for a full 2 weeks as it doesn’t take a fortnight to get married. If you asked for the day before, day of & day after you would probably get that if you explain about your husband working away. School budgets are under huge pressure and realistically supply probably won’t be brought in.  More than likely, other support staff may be brought in from other classes which then has a knock on effect on a lot of people. 
    Thanks but I am support role and won’t need cover 
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,871 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I work on school buses but I have never had time off. The council do allow it, for special reasons, although two weeks is a long holiday.
    They will be short staffed, talk to them, you should be ok.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I think a face 2 face has to be worth a try. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't understand the role being a support role and therefore not needing cover.

If no one needs to do any work whilst you're off at all how is the role justified in the first place🤔 how is there no work for 2 weeks?

Even in a support role surely it's necessary otherwise your paid post wouldn't exist?

I too would speak face to face but most places do say even in their annual leave policy to book before buying incase it is refused.

I wouldn't expect them to change their mind.
  • Far1974
    Far1974 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    thank I’ve asked to speak to HR and will let you all know x
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Far1974 said:
    A tricky argument to present as do they then need your role full time?

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Far1974 said:
    If they dont need you for two weeks they why are they paying you for the two weeks?

Appreciate you are in some form of support role but most organisations need the resources they've got else they shed them to save costs. Do you think someone could do your full time job in part time hours with less thumb twiddling? 
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think that when you sdpeak to hthem you also need to consider whether you could take a shorter period of time - I appreciate that your husband's work situation is also relvant but I suspect that if you were asking for 3 or 4 days off to cover the actual wedding you might have more luck . 2 weeks is a lot of time to be out in a role like yours, even for a special circumstance like a wedding. If you are able to get some time for the wedding its'f and then perhaps take a honeymoon later, in school holidays.

Ultimately, if you are unwilling to unable to reduce the time you want and the school won't budge, you have to decide whether you are willing to lose your job over this, whether by handing in yur notice or on the basis that you will go regardless and face disciplinary proceedings when you get back which could very easily result in dismissal. 

it's possible of course that ifyousay to them that if they can't agree the time off you will have to hand in your notice but it is high risk, as they may say 'OK then, your last day will be X' so don't threaten it if you are not willing to follow through. 

All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback