Not dropping Santa down the chimney!: The 2024 Santa, Shoebox & Life Challenge. Everyone welcome....

Options

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One duvet completely made. Turns out that double flat sheets almost = KS duvet cover so only seams to sew (as opposed to piecing bits together.) I remember BHS- that's where I had my very first Saturday job! then I progressed to the very much more upmarket M&S!! (Another lifetime)

the Works is not convenient for me. Not near the large Tesco- about another 3 or 4 miles? Plus driving in built up area so slow too.I'm not the happiest shopper unless it is a cahrity shop or car boot sale!!

Found a bobble type hat in a car park in the week- dripping wet. Once washed, dried and bobble busted guess where that will be going?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Katiehound I also had a Saturday job in M&S!
    I remember my gran taking us into BHS because she liked their bread rolls. We couldn’t pass there without her always popping in for rolls and my brother and I were always allowed to pick rolls for ourselves. I always liked the softer rolls they did. It does seem a life time ago.

Well I couldn’t resist and started to pack a shoebox last night as I seem to have a lot of items for a couple of family boxes. It also gave me chance to get the big bag out and sort out what I had and what I was lacking. Toothbrushes and soap I don’t have so when I need some shopping I will pop into Morries and see if they have the soap and toothbrushes u mentioned  Katiehound, 
    I have alot of ‘extras’ for boxes but core things like soap and flannels I am missing so my aim is to stock up so I can get an extra family box packed up then and do a Chanie and store them away until I can add the sweets/chocolate. I would love to be able to get two boxes done by the weekend just because I’m really in the mood to do them. I think once Christmas is over, there is that lack of pressure and chaos to be able to get them done and I really want to volunteer at the hub this year that was cut short last year, so nearer the time I don’t want to be faffing with my shoeboxes, I want them done. Aiming for 8 this year, 6 elderly and 2 family i think. 

Good find on the hat. I’ve just popped one of my DDs into the first shoebox, lovely children’s hat was just never worn and DD is 24 soon!
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Katiehound
    Options
    I can't believe it- of course I can- long reply just got deleted! Mutterings
    Will come back to this later as I need to sew......

Toothbrushes only in Morrisons. 2 for 25 pence. Currently their savers are reduced by a few pence ..until end of month?
    soap in Tesco

Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Auti
    Auti Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello, I wonder if you could tell me a bit more about the shoeboxes? They sound a good thing to do. I have found this forum and hope you will let me join - I am quiet so may only post occasionally but think I need to communicate with grown ups sometimes :)
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Welcome # Auti

we would love you to join us

The shoeboxes that we do are for a charity called Link to Hope which is based in Sussex. They have been working in Romania ever since the horrors of Ceausescu & the children's homes came to light so they have contacts there and also in a few other eastern European countries. It's all on their website- better that you read it there! 

The shoe boxes go to anyone in need whatever their race or religion. 
     We fill them for either a family or an elderly person and then take them to a local area collector. Happy_Kitties lives not too far from a major hub but I don't . The boxes all have certain basic contents such as candles, soap & flannel, toothbrushes & paste, hat/gloves/ scarf and shampoo. After that you choose from a list depending on family or elderly. The idea is to cram as much as you can into the box so that it is truly a gift.

Here's the link to the delivery photos: some very happy folk.
    https://linktohope.co.uk/shoebox-delivery-photos-2022/ 

This is an important page as it shows where the area collectors are
    https://linktohope.co.uk/shoebox-appeal-2022/#gettingboxestous

If you are a crafter you can make some of the items. if you are a bargain hunter you can trawl charity shops & car boot sales

I don't want to overwhelm you so hope that outlines the boxes. Their website has loads of info and of course we would love to chat to you too.
    Last year someone reckoned that they could put a good box together for £10- I think the prices have gone up a tad but that is still possible.

Please join us.

We do talk about other things but have decided that we need to buy the bargains bits whilst they are still in the shops!!
    Many thanks

• Katiehound
    Options
    2 duvets completely done yesterday but now I have realised one duvet has that non woven fabric cover with small holes/slits so I need to recover it- and miss measured so a challenge on my hands. What's new??
    Will return to the sewing machine after this.

What I posted was about the toothbrushes- at present 5 pence cheaper than usual in Morrisons
    the soap is only in Tesco -125 g for 20 pence (I mean there might be other shops- but not where I go!)
    They have 4 pack white (aarrggh)  flannels @ £ 1.50= 38 pence per flannel.
     But they also have antimicrobial hot cloths- dark grey- 7 for £3 = 43 pence each.
    A friend gave me 2 wash mitts - I don't like them, and some basic microfibre cleaning cloths- I'm thinking- face flannels?

Swam 20 lengths & then 1 hour of gentle zumba + chair based pilates.
    Many thanks

• Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Katiehound was in Tesc@ this morning and no soap at all so I’m going to try in the big superstore in the next town as I’m going to be passing it a few times this week.
    Did manage to pick up some of my usual choc bars I use for my shoeboxes, good shelf life on them. Flannels nothing either so def going to have to check out other places. If the big superstore comes up good, can get my first shoebox completed and sealed up this week
  • Katiehound
    edited 17 January 2023 at 5:50PM
    Options
    Oops you didn't go to Tesco at Hewitt's Circus did you ? (Just joking' cos you are just a few miles away from me!!) 'cos I bought all the soap - 12 tablets
    Their toothbrushes are nicer than Morrison's because they come in 2 colours so families don't have to choose between white & white! same price 25 pence.
    Toothpaste 50 pence
    10 razors £1
    Forgot to look at flannels. I was actually wondering if I had a towel or two that I could cut up.

wooden spoons 60 pence

I am assuming the chocolate needs a date of ? May? 2023?

The hat I found is black thinsulate- man's- fine

Looked online and a local cheapie shop should have 3 sizes nail clippers @£1. I also usually buy nailbrushes around the same price.

I have a load of mugs- cleared some out & charity shop has 4 for £1. I still have a load of charity shop cutlery so won't worry about wooden spoon as well. Perhaps i should count it all out now- it was stuffed in the cupboard. Even I wanted to, I couldn't pack a box as I have none.  I collect those in Ireland- nice strong Ecco ones......

Collected a big bag of 'stuff' on the way home but it's not the most useful for doggy duvets- brushed cotton in white! is not the most practical. Some of the curtains are fine and I can use the rufflette tape for dog coat ties.

At this point think I am going to freeze- 15 degrees......need to go and put the boiler on.
    Many thanks

• Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Oops you didn't go to Tesco at Hewitt's Circus did you ? (Just joking' cos you are just a few miles away from me!!) 'cos I bought all the soap - 12 tablets
    I’m aiming to buy 10 tablets so if u happen to be passing a big North Wales store there is no soap,
    ,it will be me. I have hospital today so I’m def going to take a trip to see if I can find anything plus pick up toothbrushes.
    The chocolate is May 2024. I do like using the chocolate for the additional protection it provides in protecting a mug for example.

i noticed last time that they had a lot of Christmas toiletry sets left over. I tend to find that Tesc@ will reduce a planned item on a particular day, then another on a different day and so on. Usually they fly out but this year has been different, even in my small local store some heavily reduced items are still sitting in the shelves, u can see the cost of living crisis in full force. I always collect my saving stamps, as an emergency in case I need extra funds before Christmas, but their main aim is for after Christmas. With my 25p Christmas planner bought in the the sale at the W@rks, I’ve reduced my budget even more this year and I always note everything down including costs and savings, to keep myself accountable. 

It really is the luck of the draw but I’m going to have a look at the toiletry sets aswell, for the charity auctions to see if anything has been mega reduced.
    Amaz@n had a heavily reduced Sanctuary set yesterday. Have to wait a couple of weeks for them but bought two. One for charity auctions and one for bestie who loves the stuff. Could not of afforded full price and would of blown the budget we set for each other. I’m still trying to find one of her Christmas presents, put away somewhere safe🙈so that may end up with her birthday presents🤦‍♀️
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Katiehound I def owe u bar of soap. Out of hospital early so went to the big Tesc@superstore.

I’m only used to a small store, can never find anything in the big store, but despite this went in armed with my glasses and a bag for my soap. Found the toiletry sets by chance, nothing doing.  Just as I spotted the soap I was at the end of the aisle where the perfumes sets caught my eye as a big FCUK set was down in price from £24 to £6. It was the only one with a massive reduction, picked up the last two sets with the aim of doing a price check at the till. Got my soaps and toothbrushes and a few other bits and headed to the till. Yep they were £6, best bargain ever. My cousin’s DD will be absolutely thrilled, going to use it for her birthday and the other will go to a charity auction……and the best bit…..I got my soaps🙂
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport