MSE Poll: What's your favourite Christmas film?

Options
Poll started 28 December 2022

It's Christmas, so for this week's poll, we're going to have a bit of fun. We've selected some festive films and we want you to tell us which is your favourite.

Click here to vote in the poll. 

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

Comments

• DavePumpkin
    Options
    I've been away from UK for 15 years. Now I've returned, I'm fascinated to see that old classic (and personal favourite) The Great Escape is still shown regular as clockwork on TV at Christmas time!
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I love White Christmas because of the fabulous pairing of Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye, so believable as old army colleagues - their delivery of the witty script and their interactions with the wonderful Rosemary Clooney and the oh-so-very-under-rated Vera Ellen, not to mention one of my favourite actresses of all time, Mary Wickes. 

The first film in VistaVision, the rich glorious colours and the excellent dialogue and perfect songs combine to make this a really great feel good factor movie. You just cannot be grumpy when it's on! Splendiferous, marvellous and absolutely beautiful. If you haven't seen it, please do! There's something for everyone. I adore it and watch it at last three times each Christmas, and sometimes even not at Christmas too.  
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 December 2022 at 8:53PM
    Options
    I've been away from UK for 15 years. Now I've returned, I'm fascinated to see that old classic (and personal favourite) The Great Escape is still shown regular as clockwork on TV at Christmas time!
    Welcome back. In the past I also lived away from the UK but I have to say that (Spoiler coming, sorry!) The Great Escape, although on at Christmas, is definitely not a Christmas film. And worst of all, the beautiful Steve McQueen doesn't make it. What is one of your favourite actual Christmas themed movies?
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • annabanana82
    Options
    My 19 year old Son and his friend went to see White Christmas at the cinema and both really enjoyed it, but nit a film a really took too.

A lot of films on the poll I would not consider a Christmas film though! 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • DavePumpkin
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    sorry!) The Great Escape, although on at Christmas, is definitely not a Christmas film.

Well the point I'm making is that, while of course I know it's not a 'Christmas movie', why else would it 'always' be on at Xmas if not for many others liking it as I do so it curiously seems to have become one, strange when considering the subject matter!  (And I agree it was a shame Steve McQueen 'had to' be included but that was to boost its world-wide popularity).  Actually sorry I don't have any fave 'Xmas-themed movie'.  

• Richard1212
    Options
    I think The Golden Age of Hollywood probably produced the best Xmas Films :  Miracle On 34th Street, it's A Wonderful Life, Beyond Tomorrow ( aka Beyond Xmas), Little Shop Around The Corner-----they're all 1940s.

In the 1950s I think Alistair Sim's authoritative portrayal of Scrooge makes the eponymous 1950's film the best of that decade ( the next best version being the great Michael Caine and The Muppets in 1990s). The 1950s also saw the Michael Curtiz film "White Xmas" with Bing Crosby reprising that most best-selling Xmas song, after first singing it in the 1942 movie "Holiday Inn" ( a film which covers more holidays and seasons than just Xmas).

I have no more modern  favourites except for the corny but appealing "Love Actually" ----Richard Curtis is surely one of the best screen and TV comedy and musicals' director Britain has ever produced. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback