PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

2023 Vegan Storecupboard Challenge

Options

Comments

• KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 4,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    @leftatthetrafficlights - that sounds amazing! Particularly like the idea of using a whole lemon that way - flavouring the lentils during cooking and then using the juice after - genius! 👏😊

KK
    As at 15.05.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £251,152 end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £6,785 , Interest saved £2,522 to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 29 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 8th July)
    Produce tracker: £111.19 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • KajiKita
    Options

I have a Korean chilli paste. Could I use that or does it need to be sweet?

KK
    As at 15.05.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £251,152 end date brought closer by 2 months  

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,875 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds very tasty @leftatthetrafficlights. I had an epic fail tonight trying to use up some gluten free spaghetti delivered as a sub during the start of the pandemic when pasta was scarce. It just sort of melted into the pan like candle wax but sloppier 😩 It went in the bin. I’ll give it one more chance and try cooking it for less time, if no joy I’m afraid it will be binned. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • PurpleJay
    Options
    That sounds delicious @leftatthetrafficlights. You have me wondering if I have harrissa to make the bean puree. I have some tins of cannelleni beans and they are my second least favourite bean and M is really not keen. 

The crispy cauliflower was good. You make breadcrumbs (2 slices of bread toasted then whizzed in the food processor with 2 tsp of arrowroot powder). In a bowl mix 3 tblsp water, 2 tblsp of tahini and whatever spices you fancy. I used garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and a dash of hot sauce. Mix well then add cauliflower florets, stir until coated then add the breadcrumbs and stir well again. Bake on a lined tray for 15 mins then turn and cook for a further 10-15 mins depending on the size of the pieces. 

We had 2 wraps each. One had cauli, (vegan) cheese, lettuce and sriracha and the other cauli and purple slaw. So good!

Only 2 wraps left and enough cauli for 1 unless put with something else but that’s fine. We will probably have 1 each for lunch with some wedges or chips and salad (on Saturday).

I have been doing a bit more of the inventory this evening but am now snuggled up in bed with the dog catching up on posts. 
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • jokono
    jokono Posts: 750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm starting a google doc saving all the amazing recipes shared here in this thread and the older ones. There's lots I want to make and it would be good to have them all in one place.

We haven't tackled the freezers yet and I'm really not looking forward to it. I might do a drawer at a time but I don't think it will happen this year. They're full and I know I need to run them down, I will commit to cooking at least 2 meals per week out of the freezer.

Mr JKN made cabbage and vine leaf rolls, meaty ones for him and mushroomy ones for me, that will do us for lunch and or dinner for a few days. The kids won't go anywhere near that though :(
    01.12.2020 - CC £16,839 / Loan £18,820 / EF £0
    03.07.2023 - CC (0%) £9,859 / Loan £0 / Savings £10,110
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,875 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I can highly recommend this recipe 

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/recipes/a34271859/vegan-slow-cooker-dumpling-stew/

It tastes amazing, have made it many times and it’s cheap to make. 
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • PurpleJay
    Options
    @Sun_Addict that looks delicious. 

We are already off meal plan and having oven chips, breaded mushrooms and salad for lunch instead of jacket spuds! 

You will have to take my meal plans as a rough idea of what we will eat over the week. Both DS and I are very much eat what you fancy types!. 
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • KajiKita
    Options
    I have eaten another out of date soup for lunch! One more soup and I will have only in date soups! 😂😊😉

Going out for dinner tonight, but it will be us going Dutch, from cash we have in the house, so not actually taking anything out of any accounts …. 😉

KK
    As at 15.05.24:

• leftatthetrafficlights
    Options
    KajiKita said:

I have a Korean chilli paste. Could I use that or does it need to be sweet?

KK
    I've never tried Korean chilli paste but can't see why it wouldn't work 🤔 I'm always substituting stuff so I'd definitely give it a go! Well done on getting through the soup! 🙌 hope your meal out is lovely 😁

@Sun_Addict - that pasta sounds horrific! 🤢 I've used gf pasta before but only the stuff made from pulses etc - I'd definitely try cooking it for less time and bin it if it isn't successful, food should be a pleasure, not a trial!! 😂 

@PurpleJay - the cauli sounds lovely- I'll be giving that a try soon! 😁 my meal 'plans' are frequently derailed too - my theory is that as long as I'm using up stuff from my stores it doesn't matter what I have or when 😉 

@jokono - doing the freezer inventory is always the worst job in my opinion; I hate being cold, regularly can't identify the stuff and it never goes back in as easily as it comes out! 🤦‍♀️ thankfully there were only a couple of 'freezer roulette' boxes in there this time but I do need to find a more effective way of labelling my leftovers! 

@Sun_Addict - I'll be checking out that recipe- I love dumplings! 😁 

It will be leftovers for me tonight - dh is away for a couple of days so I'll probably grab some falafel from the freezer tomorrow and have them with whatever bean puree is left and the remaining salad leaves tomorrow - I'll do a grated apple and pomegranate salsa to go with it. Dh is back on Sunday and bringing mil with him so I will probably chuck a casserole together for then as I don't know what time they will arrive...I will probably be eating my own stuff while she is here  and cooking different stuff for those two as, despite her enjoying everything I've ever presented to her, she seems to think that vegan food is some kind of witchcraft and disagrees with it as a matter of principle! 🤦‍♀️😂 The joys of in-laws!! 

Happy planning and cooking everyone! 😁
    DNF: £566.61/£1000
    JSF: £284.76/£1000

Weight loss challenge 2024:6/24lbs
    1st quarter start:9st 13.1lb
    2nd quarter start:9st 9.2lb
    3rd quarter start: 9st 6.8lb

GC - July :
    Fruit & veg: 1) £23.99/£25; 2) £15.64/£25; 3) £10.87/£25; 4) £0/£25; 5) £0/£25

Stores: £15.98/£20 (monthly)
    Household: £5.90/£20 (monthly)

GC 2024 - Annual Target:£2712
    Running total:£1064.59/£2712
    Monthly Target: £226
    Jan: £74.12; Feb: £300; Mar: £190; Apr: £200; May: £170; Jun: £68.96; Jul £61.51; 

• KajiKita
    Options
    @leftatthetrafficlights, I have been labelling both leftovers and batches for years with masking tape and biro. Works really well and is cheap to do. You can go right round a folded bag to seal it or just put a small section on a lid. It then comes off easily when you want to clean / reuse the container. 

KK
    As at 15.05.24:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback