We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New Job refused time off for my wedding

Options
2»

Comments

• OhSoCold
    Options
    TBagpuss said:
    I agree that a miscommunication is most likely. Does the app allow you to add any notes, and if so, did you note that you had already speaken to the lie manager who hadconfirmed that the dates would be honoured as it's a pre-existing committment? 

I agree that if it is agenuine zero hours contract youdon't *have* to accept hours offered, but I think given the timescales you can afford to wait until your manager is bck and then address it with her. 
    I think you are probably right in that the app doesn’t see me as having any holiday yet . 
    I’m going to wait until I start the job and speak to my line manager when she’s back , sadly there’s no option to add notes in the app . I’m still a bit bemused by the fact they say I have to work certain hours and weekends yet I’m in zero hours 
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OhSoCold said:
    TBagpuss said:
    I agree that a miscommunication is most likely. Does the app allow you to add any notes, and if so, did you note that you had already speaken to the lie manager who hadconfirmed that the dates would be honoured as it's a pre-existing committment? 

I agree that if it is agenuine zero hours contract youdon't *have* to accept hours offered, but I think given the timescales you can afford to wait until your manager is bck and then address it with her. 
    I think you are probably right in that the app doesn’t see me as having any holiday yet . 
    I’m going to wait until I start the job and speak to my line manager when she’s back , sadly there’s no option to add notes in the app . I’m still a bit bemused by the fact they say I have to work certain hours and weekends yet I’m in zero hours 
    Well technically you don't. However it is something of a moot point as they also don't have to give you any work. That is no doubt what will happen if you are regularly unavailable when they want you.

In a way the same applies to your holiday. You could simply decline work for those dates and whatever paid holiday you have accrued would remain available to take at another time (of the employer's choosing). But again, that might affect how much work you are offered. It is supply and demand really, if they have plenty of suitable people to call on they will favour those that are the most accommodating. If they are short of staff or if you have particular skills that they value they will be more inclined to accept your limited availability.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are genuinely zero hours with the expectations around hours that you describe, I’d probably be starting this job but looking for a different ine anyway.

Because if that’s what they want/need that’s what they want to they should either give you a 24 hour contract or accept there are times you say no I can’t do that.
    Seems to me the company is wanting the best of both worlds without any of the obligations and you lose out both ways. No job security. No contracted terms. No options for flexibility. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • OhSoCold
    Options
    elsien said:
    If you are genuinely zero hours with the expectations around hours that you describe, I’d probably be starting this job but looking for a different ine anyway.

Because if that’s what they want/need that’s what they want to they should either give you a 24 hour contract or accept there are times you say no I can’t do that.
    Seems to me the company is wanting the best of both worlds without any of the obligations and you lose out both ways. No job security. No contracted terms. No options for flexibility. 
    Well as it happens I’ll now be declining the job as I’ve today received an email from my line manager informing me my hours are being reduced by six a week in January due to the quiet time and the months rota was attached . 
    When I checked it I’d been booked to work every single weekend in January despite being told I’d have one weekend in four off . When I emailed to query this she informed me that she is short staffed as still has a vacant position to fill and I’ll be working every single weekend until she has a full working team 
  • OhSoCold
    Options
    OhSoCold said:
    TBagpuss said:

Well technically you don't. However it is something of a moot point as they also don't have to give you any work. That is no doubt what will happen if you are regularly unavailable when they want you.

In a way the same applies to your holiday. You could simply decline work for those dates and whatever paid holiday you have accrued would remain available to take at another time (of the employer's choosing). But again, that might affect how much work you are offered. It is supply and demand really, if they have plenty of suitable people to call on they will favour those that are the most accommodating. If they are short of staff or if you have particular skills that they value they will be more inclined to accept your limited availability.
    Well as I said in the above post I’m now being told I have to work every weekend due to staffing issues and this is definitely not what was agreed . I’m pretty flexible so Would have no issues with shifts offered, it’s rare I’d be saying I wasn’t available but it feels like they are looking for the best of both worlds . I should add it’s the hospitality industry 
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Utter madness to cancel your wedding or quit the job.
    Just wait until the line manager comes back in and resubmit
  • OhSoCold
    Options
    Utter madness to cancel your wedding or quit the job.
    Just wait until the line manager comes back in and resubmit
    As stated above , I’ve withdrawn from the job after I was told my hours were being reduced but I was now expected to work every weekend which wasn’t what was agreed 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 11,134 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Until you see your contract then you don't know what they are expecting of you.  And you haven't agreed to actually take the job.

If your wedding is actually Easter weekend I suspect that others already working for them have put in their requests for time off so the newbies are expected to cover their absences.  Again - if the manager said you could have the time then it will be up to them to sort this with HR.  The alternative is for you to work until the end of March and then hand in your notice.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • OhSoCold
    Options
    Brie said:
    Until you see your contract then you don't know what they are expecting of you.  And you haven't agreed to actually take the job.

If your wedding is actually Easter weekend I suspect that others already working for them have put in their requests for time off so the newbies are expected to cover their absences.  Again - if the manager said you could have the time then it will be up to them to sort this with HR.  The alternative is for you to work until the end of March and then hand in your notice.
    I had agreed in writing to take the job . 
    Well as it happens I’ll now be declining the job as I’ve today received an email from my line manager informing me my hours are being reduced by six a week in January due to the quiet time and the months rota was attached . 
    When I checked it I’d been booked to work every single weekend in January despite being told I’d have one weekend in four off . When I emailed to query this she informed me that she is short staffed as still has a vacant position to fill and I’ll be working every single weekend until she has a full working team 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback