28 day prescription policy

I understand that a 28 day prescription policy is in force, but there are some exemptions, I'm not entirely sure how this works, but is it possible to secure 3 month's of medication? This is for statins which are to be taken daily for rest of life. 

I get that it is to prevent waste, but there are a number of reasons why it would be beneficial to have quarterly prescriptions
Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,222
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It’s in line with NICE guidance. It’s not absolutely set in stone and the GP does have some discretion for some medications; this may not be your CCG but it does give a good overview of the reasons and exceptions.
    https://westessexccg.nhs.uk/your-health/medicines-optimisation-and-pharmacy/general-prescribing-guidance/162-repeat-prescribing-28-day-policy/file
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Thank you that's really useful. I can see the rationale of it, unfortunately my OH is struggling with the realisation that this is for life. I'll have to manage the repeat prescriptions until we are certain thar the tablet and dosage is right for him 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My CCG has the same policy. The only medicine that I get 3 months at a time is one prescribed by my hospital that gets delivered to me through their Home care system. 
  • I've got rheumatoid arthritis and I get a three months prescription for two of the meds I take, folic acid and methotrexate which is chemo cytotoxic drug.  The other drug I take is a hospital prescription and that's for 2 months and like unforeseen above it's delivered to my door. 
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My one from the hospital is for my psoriasis. Before that I was on MTX & folic acid but could only get a month at a time. 
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,880
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My statins come in 56 day amounts and when I went on an extended holiday this year I was given enough to cover it. 
    Prescriptions are dispensed free of charge in Scotland. 
  • My medication comes in 3 month amounts.  Just after the change to 1 month was implemented I did ask for more to be prescribed at once because I was paying for prescriptions (and it was VERY inconvenient having to renew every month) - but the main reason I could ask was the dose had stayed stable for a while already at that point, and was unlikely to change.
  • Gers said:
    My statins come in 56 day amounts and when I went on an extended holiday this year I was given enough to cover it. 
    Prescriptions are dispensed free of charge in Scotland. 
    Mine exactly this but in England 
  • My doctor will do batch prescriptions for 3 or 6 months but the actual med has to be collected every month although I suppose if you are with one of the pharmacies that send you your prescription then you would just get them delivered every month.  
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    For some inexplicable reason my alopurinol rx was changed from 1/12 to 2/12 in the pandemic and remains the same. As I pay towards prescriptions I have no reason to challenge this! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback