Son in debt threatened suicide, Advice ?

Options
Hi im worried if any of you good people can help my son.

He is 20 years of age and has just returned home.He is struggling with stress and depression.He is currently out of work.

His life seems to have fell apart since he was discharged from the army.

He took a loan out with a bank on a car ,because he was in the army he was advised he would not need loan protection.

The car was later written off on third party insurance.

After he left the army he couldnt pay the loan the £2500 loan has now balooned to £3700 and is in the hands of dept collectors who are writing regularly now.

Has he got a case against the bank for bad advice ? or is it nothing to do with the bank now the debt is with collecting agency.?

He also has other depts one to a bank for £300
Mobile telephone depts of £250 and £150

Can any of you good people give us any advice.

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    Options
    First things first.. if he's threatened suicide he needs to see his GP or call someone like the samaritans ASAP...
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Lucy1982_2
    Lucy1982_2 Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    May I ask why he was discharged from the Army? Can he not get some help through the Army. I'm not sure if there are any charities or some such organisation that helps out former soliders.

Is he working now? Maybe try and book an appointment with Citizens Advice as they have special debt advisors who make be able to help.

But huge hugs to you and your son, I suffer from depression myself and know just how hard it is to deal with debt at the same time, it sounds like he is lucky to have you.

And like IA says, get him to see someone, depression like this needs some help.
    Current debt - £16,300 :(
    Debt at worst 17/03/2011 - £18,067.62:eek::eek:
    :ANot going anywhere else, ever again :A
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't answer your question any better than Lucy1982 but give your son a big kiss from me.:kisses3:
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Options
    Would SSAFA be any help in any way?

If he applied for the loan whilst in the army then I can't see that there would be anything for the bank to answer to as his circumstances have now changed.

Please try to get him to see his GP or call the Samaritans. He can call them on 08457909090 or he can text them on 07725909090.
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • Lucy1982_2
    Lucy1982_2 Posts: 4,611 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Keren, that's who I was thinking of but I couldn't remember what they were called.
    Current debt - £16,300 :(
    Debt at worst 17/03/2011 - £18,067.62:eek::eek:
    :ANot going anywhere else, ever again :A
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the board.

Sorry to hear about the problems your son your son is having. (((hugs))) for you both.

You need to get him to go and talk to his Dr and also get him to ring one of the debt charities like National Debtline a ring. Please be aware they are very busy so you might have to sit with your finger on redial.

All the best with it all.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • SortingIt_2
    Options
    Hello,

Just wanted to say hello and that you have come to the right place as everyone here is so great.

Firstly I think your son should contact his doctor - it's important. However I know this may be easier said than done.

Def contact one of the debt charities, make sure that you contact the creditors to advise in writing that your son is suffering problems. I would advise that you get your son to sign a letter giving you authority to discuss his details etc - means you will be able to help him furhter.

Re the phone calls - is your son able to change his telephone number just so that he does not get constant calls?

I really hope that you work this out - I wish you much luck.

xx
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear your son is so low at the moment. I'm surprised he was allowed to borrow money for a car without the bank insisting on comprehensive insurance - that is a pretty standard condition for car loans, for obvious reasons. Are you absolutely certain the insurance was only third party? It might be worth double checking.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Hi

having spent ten years in the army i know the change upon leaving is huge i don't want to go into my experience publicly here though.

as well as SSAFA the Royal British Legion is also a good place to go and offer help for ex service personel.

your son's first port of call should really be the GP it was where everything turned around for me i know it will be hard for him the services drum in a certain "expressing your feelings is weak" attitude into all of us and opening up and talking to anyone will certainly be uncomfortble for him but once he has he will will feel better for it.

i hope everything works out for the best and if your son wants to talk to an ex squaddie who has been through the same please pm me and i will be more than happy to talk to him.

Phil
    Total Debt July/2007 [strike]£22650 [/strike]£21,889
    Egg CCard [strike]£5310 [/strike]£4,149.16 Sky CCard [strike]£6600 [/strike]£6239 Barclays Loan [strike]£12190 [/strike]£11501.23

Long haulers supporters DFW #80!
  • propertyhelpturkey
    Options
    Thanks for your caring comments.

Dont worry folks i took him straight to the doctors he is being treated.

It just all got to much for him,one step forward ,three steps back syndrome.

He had a bad story of the army, he was honourably discharged as a SAT soldier as he was charged by the police for being drunk in charge of a vehicle whilst asleep in it with a friend.

This went on for months and it cost him his training,the sad thing is all charges were later dropped.

Back to the debt problems ,would the CCSC be a good option for him at this stage?

Hes upset the bank said he would not need loan protection as his job was guaranteed (Army),in the end it wasnt.

Can he go back to the bank to complain or is it out of there hands now its with debt collectors?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure