MSE Poll: How often do you dip into your savings?

Options
MSE_Gavin
MSE_Gavin Posts: 11 MSE Staff
First Anniversary
edited 13 December 2022 at 1:42PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 13 December 2022

An easy-access savings account allows you to deposit and (perhaps more importantly) withdraw whenever you like. But, with rates often lower than for fixed savings accounts ‒ where your money's locked away for a set period ‒ we wondered how often you're taking advantage of the 'access' element of your easy-access account. Let us know in our poll below.

Click here to take part. 

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.
If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

Comments

• cwep2
    cwep2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Easy access is good for being able to withdraw/move to better interest rate. I use notice accounts and 1yr fixes, but as rates started going up quickly it seemed better to wait. 

I have a 1yr fix maturing this week at the princely rate of 1.41% (which was a best buy at the time) it was good for 4 months then instant access went to 1.5% (Chase) and I’d have been better instant access all the way. 

When the 1yr rates went above 4% I started to shift back the stuff earmarked for fixed that had been sat in instant access for a few months. 
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why do people have easy access accounts but don't access them? Isnt the whole point so you can move your income to it and then move money back to pay bills?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    phillw said:
    Why do people have easy access accounts but don't access them? Isn't the whole point so you can move your income to it and then move money back to pay bills?
    Because there's always the possibility that they might need to get hold of some money unexpectedly and urgently?? That's why I have some of my money in one.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • saveroony
    Options
    I dip into instant access accounts to drip feed into the regular savers and pay for unexpected bills
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback