Beware! Cold callers.

mumtoomanymumtoomany Forumite
1.1K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
Hi, just to make people aware. I have just had a call from a gentleman, who is able to help me consolidate all my debts! He got the details of these debts, odd as i don't have any, from the DRF, debt resolution forum. He could help me by setting up an IVA. He hung up when I told him I worked for the CAB in there debt department, I don't. Watch out for this. An IVA would probably be the worst solution, if i did have debt, as I'm a home owner.
HTH someone, mumtoomany.
Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. 
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
Spent so far: £266.32/£2640

Replies

• RobM99RobM99 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    One of so many. had one today from an Asian guy (Sam!) askig for debit card details to "renew your phone blocking service"! Oh, the irony!

Checked the number on Who Called Me and sure enough, 200+ reports of this as a scam number.
    Now a gainfully employed bassist.
  • mumtoomanymumtoomany Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi Rob, just googled the number. It's a Birmingham number, calls from it started today, and it has been searched for over 400 times so far! They must be working hard to save up for Christmas. mumtoomany
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent so far: £266.32/£2640
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi, just to make people aware. I have just had a call from a gentleman, who is able to help me consolidate all my debts! He got the details of these debts, odd as i don't have any, from the DRF, debt resolution forum. He could help me by setting up an IVA. He hung up when I told him I worked for the CAB in there debt department, I don't. Watch out for this. An IVA would probably be the worst solution, if i did have debt, as I'm a home owner.
    HTH someone, mumtoomany.

Cold calling is nothing new, and the scams don`t really alter that much, debt/money/service agreements/car warranty - the list goes on, yet they seem to ramp them up at Christmas time, obviously scammers want there Christmas bonus.

Basic rule of thumb, if you don`t know who`s calling you, just hang up.

If it`s legitimate, the company/individual concerned will write to you, so don`t worry.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.