MSE News: Cold weather payments triggered in England and Wales

Cold weather payments worth £25 have been triggered for residents in over 300 postcode areas in England and Wales, amid a cold snap expected to last into next week. It's the first time the payments, which are designed to help households pay for energy bills when temperatures plummet, have been handed out this winter.

Read the full story:
'Cold weather payments triggered in England and Wales – can you get £25 towards your energy bills?'

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Are you entitled to the above payment if you get child tax credits with child premium disability element.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Are you entitled to the above payment if you get child tax credits with child premium disability element.
    you might also get Cold Weather Payments if you have any of the following:
    • a severe or enhanced disability premium
    • a pensioner premium
    • a child who is disabled
    • Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
    • a child under 5 living with you

https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/eligibility

• atlantis187
    It states this which is quite confusing:
    Even having a disabled child claiming child tax credits do u have to also be getting Income support or ESA to qualify? 

Income Support and income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

You’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you get Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and have any of the following:

• a disability or pensioner premium
    • Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element

Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you get income-related ESA and are in a work-related activity group or support group. If you’re not in either group, you might also get Cold Weather Payments if you have any of the following:

• a severe or enhanced disability premium
    • a pensioner premium
    • Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You must be getting one of the following

Pension Credit
    Income Support
    JSA (Income Based)
    ESA (Income Related)
    Support for Mortgage Interest
    Universal Credit

and then meet additional qualifying criteria (which includes Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element) for all of the above (except Pension Credit) in order to qualify.
  • poppy12345
    Reading it again, if it's only child tax credits you're claiming then i don't think you qualify. If you do then the CWP is automatically paid. When i was claiming child tax credits i was also claiming Income Related ESA so i qualified through that.
  • atlantis187
    Another ridiculous thought out scheme. Why cant they just make these things simple to read and understand 
  • Has anyone received a cold weather payment for December 2022? I've not received anything and was wondering if they're late sending them or if I should contact them many thanks for any help gav
  • Has anyone received a cold weather payment for December 2022? I've not received anything and was wondering if they're late sending them or if I should contact them many thanks for any help gav
    Are you sure you are entitled to them and your postcode qualified
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • poppy12345
    Has anyone received a cold weather payment for December 2022? I've not received anything and was wondering if they're late sending them or if I should contact them many thanks for any help gav

Which benefits are you claiming exactly? Not all benefits entitle you to the CWP. https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/eligibility

Are you sure you are entitled to them and your postcode qualified
    I get ESA,PIP and housing benefit. I've always received them in the past? So I wasn't sure if things have changed?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback