Is there a 'green premium' incentive to upgrade home energy efficiency?

edited 7 December 2022 at 12:59PM in Surveys
1 reply 113 views
Robin_GBRobin_GB Forumite
1 Post
edited 7 December 2022 at 12:59PM in Surveys
Hi, 

I’m a MSc Green Building student at the Centre for Alternative Technology and University of East London, writing my thesis on homeowner incentives to upgrade energy efficiency, for example - is there a property value 'green premium' for high energy efficiency?

I'd be interested to hear views from homeowners, active buyers and investors on this, please click the link below to complete a 5-10 minute questionnaire, and as a ‘thank you’ I would be pleased to share a summary of the results if you leave your email address at the end of the survey. Thank you.

Please complete the survey here 

https://forms.office.com/r/L8ETuQpSLx

(Thanks to the Forum Team who have given permission for this post on the board)

Replies

• edited 15 January at 4:57PM
    trotter09trotter09 Forumite
    959 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 January at 4:57PM
    You'd think there ought to be a 'green premium' for homes that are energy efficient, but I doubt there is in reality.

The annual cost of energy is usually a minor concern when buying a house, if it's even considered at all. The difference in energy cost between an efficient and a not so efficient home is small compared to the purchase price of a house. And if you really want the house, you can easily upgrade the energy system.

There are people who talk a good game about wanting a 'green' house - even some who retrofit air-source heat pumps when it makes no economic sense - but I think they would be a small minority of house buyers.