PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas veg special this year?

Options
I remember last year and perhaps the proceeding one most of the supermarket chains did a special on winter veg (potatoes being particularly handy) all at around 20p a bag. Is there any news or word whether the same thing will happen this year? I want to prepare some space so I can stock up if this happens!!!!

Comments

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 5 December 2022 at 10:58PM
    Options
    I believe they all try to out do each other and have not as yet announced what price they are charging this year in the hope that it is lower than their competitors. Last year the low in our area was 19p but I would think it will be an equally unrealistic loss leading price below 30p. It depends who blinks first.
  • London_1
    London_1 Posts: 1,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    One good thing  when they try to grab the customers, is the lowering of veg prices.

I'm not too sure if it will happen this year or not ,maybe the base line will be 40-50p which will still be cheap.

I am trying to get some wriggle room in the freezer to make some room for extra cheaper veg for Jan/Feb winter months Carrots especially, as they do freeze well and will make nice souo with lentils for when it gets really nippy.

I make a good deal of soup all the year round, but especially when the weather is cold as soup and a roll are excellent lunchtime meals or a bowl of soup before dinner help to streetch the meal a bit further (my late Mum always had a pot of soup on the kitchen range and when you got home frpm school in the cold weather it was so nice to have a mug of soup to warm you up.
    JackieO xx
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sainsbury have released their cheap veg prices - it’s 19p again this year.  Can’t remember all of the veg but certainly contains potatoes and carrots; probably Brussels and parsnips.
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Options
    For anyone looking out for cheap carrots, have you looked at donkey carrots? They are just normal carrots but wonky or broken. Locally here, they are around £2.50 to £3 for a 10kg sack. They keep in the fridge and as JackieO says, freeze well. HTH, hugs mumtoomany.xx
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • FlaatusGoat
    Options
    For anyone looking out for cheap carrots, have you looked at donkey carrots? They are just normal carrots but wonky or broken. Locally here, they are around £2.50 to £3 for a 10kg sack. They keep in the fridge and as JackieO says, freeze well. HTH, hugs mumtoomany.xx

Where do I buy these? Same as pony carrots?
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I hurried off to have a look at the Sainsbugs website but can't see those prices.  They have Aldi price match and some offers but not 19p that I can see
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maryb said:
    I hurried off to have a look at the Sainsbugs website but can't see those prices.  They have Aldi price match and some offers but not 19p that I can see
    I think it's a tad too early- the veggie war usually starts later in the month.. maybe the end of next week?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, @FlaatusGoat. Yes, sorry i meant pony carrots. Got my equines muddled. mumtoomany.x
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks C_J.  I quite like getting veg from Sainsbugs in any case as they have quite a lot of loose produce and I can buy what I need and/or avoid plastic wrappers.  So I shall toddle down there in two weeks time and fill my boots
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback