Getting from Prestwick Airport into Glasgow

Options
pompey
pompey Posts: 115 Forumite
Hi,

I am flying into Prestwick on Friday afternon and need to get to the Moat House in Glasgow and am keen to find the most money-saving form of travel, taking time into consideration (i.e. don't really want to take 2 hours to save 50p!!). Need to return on Sunday lunchtime.

I have looked at trains/buses/taxis on internet but would be interested in first-hand experience - e.g. is there a shuttle service?

Thanks
No sig!

Comments

• pinkfluffybabe
    pinkfluffybabe Posts: 2,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The best thing to do is to get the train to Glasgow Central - if you show your flight ticket you can get it for halfprice. The station is walking distance through a tunnel from the airport.

At the other end, go to Glasgow Central low level and get a train to Exhibition Centre which is back to back with the Moat House hotel. Its only two stops so it will be cheap.

You should be able to get exact train prices on https://www.firstscotrail.co.uk
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 14/53 UU, 11 IN
  • Mattjimf
    Mattjimf Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    when you get the low level train, go for the return even if you aren't going to be using it again that day, as it is 5-10p cheaper than the single.
    Sometimes i surprise myself by being right.
  • Weesimba
    Weesimba Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Just ask for a single to the Scottish Exhibition Centre at the airport. It will be the same price as just to Glasgow Central. As previuosly said show your plane ticket to get it half price. Trains run every half hour!
  • pompey
    Options
    I had a quick look at https://www.firstscotrail.co.uk but could not see that they run every 30 min, will just have to turn up & see!

As everyone has been so helpful, any ideas on where to go when we get to Glasgow (me + wife):

* looking for a few beers/meal etc for Friday and Saturday night
    * something to do on Saturday (probably shopping!)

Cheers
    No sig!
  • humancoin
    humancoin Posts: 46 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Buy your ticket from central to exebition centre on the train, sometimes you dont get asked.

As for where to go, depends on what you are looking for. There is a nice big weatherspoons just off Goerge Square, called the counting house. Not bad, and is cheap. If you are looking for something nicer, then go down the the merchant city, and merchant square. Lots of nice bars and restaurants down there. Im sure you will find a pre-theatre menu somewhere, but its a little more expensive.

If you can be bothered, then there is the west end, Byres road and Ashton lane. Really nice atmosphere, again a little more expensive. A few restaurants dotted around that are nice. Get something light to eat in bonhams just of ashton lane on byres road. For an indian, go to Ashoka.

For just general pubs etc then there is suachiall(sp.) street where there are pleanty of places although can be pretty hectic on a friday night.

Something to do, erm, there is the Science centre just opposite the moat house? Check to see if there is anything on at the SECC whilst you are there, the moat house is right beside the SECC. hmmm it all depends on what your into.
  • pompey
    Options
    humancoin wrote:
    hmmm it all depends on what your into.

Excellent - that is just the info I need.

:)
    No sig!
  • Costaz
    Costaz Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I am travelling from Leuchars to Glasgow Prestwick and I was wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions.

a. Does the 50% discount apply to the whole trip from Leuchars to Prestwick or just the Glasgow - Prestiwick bit?

b. Also, since I am flying with Ryan, I won't have a ticket per se, will they accept the confirmation e-mail?

I read the info in http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/content/travelinfo/tickets/prestwick-airport.php , but it wasn't too clear :confused: , so I thought to ask here :o .
  • Al_Jolson
    Al_Jolson Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless there's been a policy change since I last flew Ryanair, then some of the above may not be fully accurate.
    It's always been a strict policy that to get the transport discount you must show your flight "booking criteria". Time and time again I've seen people pile onto the train armed with their boarding passes, only to find that the ticket inspector's not interested.

Also, I believe the discount only applies to the Prestwick to Glasgow stage.
  • Big_Nige
    Big_Nige Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Trains to Glasgow from Prestwick Airport depart roughly 1/4 past & 1/4 to the hour, Sunday service from Glasgow to Ayr (Prestwick Airport is a few stops before Ayr)is I believe on the Hour only.
    Every day above ground is a good day.
  • jumpingjackd
    Options
    Hi.....I have used the Prestwick airport train a few times. Buy the ticket on the train and ask for final destination. You are supposed to show your email booking, but they dont always ask for it. Special fare applies to whole of journey, not just to Glasgow

You can buy ticket in advance at local station too.

Make sure you ask for Prestwick Airport (Ryanair) ticket.

It does not always show on prices on website. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport