The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Marks & Spencer's Credit Card - Purchase refunded - points query

newbie8
newbie8 Posts: 114
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 28 November 2022 at 8:07PM in Credit cards
I recently made a big purchase on my M&S Credit Card but had to get a refund. 

I think the points have already been converted to vouchers and the refund was done in the the following quarter..

Do the points reset or carry over to the next quarter? Because if they don't carry over, I'm thinking of not spending on M&S card for a few months and gain points on a different card instead :) But if they do carry over, then I'll just have to make up the deficit in purchases and just wait. 

Thanks,

Comments

• Hello,

I think it is being carried over, and in this specific scenario since the points balance was converted and spent, the refund will result in negative points balance which will also get carried over.

• newbie8
    Forumite
    Guess I better get spending to start earning points again LOL 
  • newbie8 said:
    I hope I'm right in saying that your remark is somewhat tongue-in-cheek :smile:   But don't go spending on a card just for the sake of it, and certainly not just for the sake of a few points.  If the points are of value to you and you're just using the card for everyday purchases anyway then that's great - just carry on using it and let the points sort themselves out over time.
    But if you're a regular credit card user, it's always worth reviewing what "points" are on offer from various lenders periodically anyway.  It may be that a different lender offers a perk that is more valuable/useful to you personally than M&S points.
    FWIW I've got an M&S card, got it years ago for some offer or other they were doing at the time.  I only use it very occasionally, and get a voucher through once in a blue moon, purely because I use it very little.  Sure, it's nice to get a freebie, but I wouldn't usually shop at M&S routinely, so it's not particularly worth making in my "primary" card - for me personally.  I have a Tesco card that is really my main one - I know it's probably not the best in terms of points, but again I've had it donkey's years and the clubcard vouchers are of more use to me than M&S vouchers.
    But it's worth keeping an eye on what's around, and just pick the one that offers perks that are of most value to you.

• newbie8
    Forumite
    newbie8 said:
    I hope I'm right in saying that your remark is somewhat tongue-in-cheek :smile:   But don't go spending on a card just for the sake of it, and certainly not just for the sake of a few points.  If the points are of value to you and you're just using the card for everyday purchases anyway then that's great - just carry on using it and let the points sort themselves out over time.
    But if you're a regular credit card user, it's always worth reviewing what "points" are on offer from various lenders periodically anyway.  It may be that a different lender offers a perk that is more valuable/useful to you personally than M&S points.
    FWIW I've got an M&S card, got it years ago for some offer or other they were doing at the time.  I only use it very occasionally, and get a voucher through once in a blue moon, purely because I use it very little.  Sure, it's nice to get a freebie, but I wouldn't usually shop at M&S routinely, so it's not particularly worth making in my "primary" card - for me personally.  I have a Tesco card that is really my main one - I know it's probably not the best in terms of points, but again I've had it donkey's years and the clubcard vouchers are of more use to me than M&S vouchers.
    But it's worth keeping an eye on what's around, and just pick the one that offers perks that are of most value to you.

Apologies, I hadn't seen your post until today. 

Yes it was tongue-in-cheek comment :)

I've had M&S for years and if it wasn't the bonus points spend on food/clothing and get 300/500 points I wouldn't have kept the M&S card. How funny, I have Tesco from ages ago too. I was using Amazon for a few years until recently. And now using Tesco/M&S whilst I decide which cashback card to take up because M&S is 1 pt for every £5 outside of M&S and Tesco is every £8 outside of Tesco.  

So ideally, I'm looking for one that will offer points/cashback for every £1 spent and unless I take an AMEX I can't seem to find a provider and I didn't take up the Pulse 0.5%  (Amazon) up at the time thinking there would be another provider. 

Any ideas? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure