I believe I may be on the wrong tax code

Hi,

Sorry in advance if I sound clueless, but I started a new job last month and got my first proper wage from them today. 

However, I was shocked to see my payslip as it was significantly lower than what I had thought it would be. 

I am on a salary of £18,585.57, living in Scotland and 23 years old. My wage was barely over £1,200 as they took £278.74 in PAYE tax. 

My tax code on the payslip is S191T M1.
Doesn't seem right for it to be this high in tax as I have had higher paid jobs and not paid anywhere near this much tax. 

Should I phone HMRC to make sure it is the right code?

Comments

• HMRC probably think you have two jobs, very common occurrence after switching jobs. You need to call them.
  • That is great, thanks for the reply. 

When I speak to HMRC, other than my NI number, do I require anything else?
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Copy of your payslips to give previous and current employers details
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you had your P45 from the previous employer yet? That should set HMRC straight, once they get it. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue said:
    Have you had your P45 from the previous employer yet? That should set HMRC straight, once they get it. 
    Do you need to give your P45 from the previous employer to your new employer or to HMRC?
  • liz_bartun
    liz_bartun Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 November 2022 at 1:59PM
    GiantTCR said:
    Savvy_Sue said:
    Do you need to give your P45 from the previous employer to your new employer or to HMRC?
    New employer, who then uses the information in their RTI submission to HMRC.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi,

Sorry in advance if I sound clueless, but I started a new job last month and got my first proper wage from them today. 

However, I was shocked to see my payslip as it was significantly lower than what I had thought it would be. 

I am on a salary of £18,585.57, living in Scotland and 23 years old. My wage was barely over £1,200 as they took £278.74 in PAYE tax. 

My tax code on the payslip is S191T M1.
    Doesn't seem right for it to be this high in tax as I have had higher paid jobs and not paid anywhere near this much tax. 

Should I phone HMRC to make sure it is the right code?
    Hi, don't worry about sounding clueless, we all have to start somewhere and sorting out tax codes is not for the faint of heart. . . 

If you wish, you could also log in to your personal HMRC account to get this put right. You can send them a message on there. I've done that in the past and it's a more efficient way to get things sorted out, certainly in my experience.

Here is the link - https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

Once your personal account is set up, it's easy to use. I think, anyway. And every time I've had to contact them  it's been because they have taken too much tax from my income. . . I see a pattern here!
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback