Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Civil Service Alpha - when does EPA count from?

I'm struggling to get a straight answer out of MyCSP - so I thought I'd try you lovely people!

I've been paying in to Alpha for about 7 years now.  I'm about 20 years away from my State Pension Age. But I want to reitre early.

If I start doing a monthly payment for EPA  - does that only apply to my future contributions? Or does it include everything I've built up so far?

If It does include previous contributions. Does that mean I can buy lots of added pension now, and then switch to EPA-3 a year before I plan to retire? That seems to-good=to-be-true.

The other posts on the forum have been really informative about the difference between EPA and Added Pension - but I couldn't see this one answered.

Thanks. Sorry if it is a basic question.

Replies

• edited 24 November at 2:11PM
    MarconMarcon Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 November at 2:11PM
    I'm struggling to get a straight answer out of MyCSP - so I thought I'd try you lovely people!

I've been paying in to Alpha for about 7 years now.  I'm about 20 years away from my State Pension Age. But I want to reitre early.

If I start doing a monthly payment for EPA  - does that only apply to my future contributions? Or does it include everything I've built up so far?

If It does include previous contributions. Does that mean I can buy lots of added pension now, and then switch to EPA-3 a year before I plan to retire? That seems to-good=to-be-true.

The other posts on the forum have been really informative about the difference between EPA and Added Pension - but I couldn't see this one answered.

Thanks. Sorry if it is a basic question.

I think it has been answered, and happily quite recently. Have a look at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/79640864#Comment_79640864
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • michaelsmichaels Forumite
    26.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Only applies to contributions made when you are paying EPA
    I think....
  • fire_fire_firefire_fire_fire Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    Cheers both!!