PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Employing a cleaner direct

Options
I’ve used a cleaning company in the past and they’d had training and not only cleaned but made the place look as though it had been cleaned. After a long time they became less effective (I felt the cleaning was rushed and I was taken for granted, it seems to happen if you stay long term with service providers)

A couple of months ago I employed a very nice cleaning lady who said she had been cleaning forever and had good references. However it’s not working. I’m feeling guilty because I’m about 20 years older but I think fitter and know I could do it myself quicker and more efficiently. I particularly told her I wanted her to dust with a damp cloth but there are dusty ledges despite her coming weekly. She’s not organised and seems to need me to tell her exactly what to do every week, which is not how I want to spend my time. 

The obvious thing would be to part company but that would be mean just before Christmas. I guess I have to write down exactly what I need doing each week, and how to do it so she can work to a checklist. I expect basics each week, 2 bathrooms and kitchen, but the other rooms can be alternated as necessary, depending on timing.

Does anyone have a basic checklist I could adapt please? I could plan an alternate week schedule so everything gets covered in a fortnight and I will ensure I can easily do it within the timescale. I could even do one area before she arrives and show her how I leave it. If that doesn’t work I guess I’ll be doing it myself again sometime in the new year.

Any ideas welcome
Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200

Comments

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    https://cleaningbusinessboss.com/cleaning-checklists/
    As usual the internet is your friend. I have employed cleaners directly in the past some were excellent and others not. I admit I left it to their own judgement. I wish that I had had a checklist like the site above. It is obviously american but  you could adapt to your personal needs. One other tip I learnt of from a hotel housekeeper point of view was that it is best to work clockwise from the entrance so that nothing gets missed. Remember cleaners in hospitality industry always work to deadlines. Hopefully other users who clean professionally will comment, as well as forum members who employ cleaners.As with any role people need training and guidance.
  • downshifted
    Options
    Thank you gwynlas that’s really helpful and very comprehensive, I’ll try to adapt that. I hope it works out ok
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport