Travelling in london

Hi 

I am travelling to London for the 1st time on Sunday, just wondering, I fly into Gatwick and I was going to book southern railways to Victoria, I’m I better booking my ticket in advance or just when I get there, my only concern in booking in advance is if my flight was delayed or something, 

we are travelling as family of 2 adults and 2 children, are we better getting Oyster cards or just use debit cards. ?

Our travel will consist of Gatwick to Kensington, for 2 days, then Kensington to ascot for 1 day, then back to Gatwick 

TIA 

Comments

• You will probably want to get Oyster cards with the 'young visitor' discount for the children otherwise they will be charged adult fare.

NB Ascot is (a long way) beyond the Oyster/contactless area, so you will need to buy separate tickets for that trip
    testing 123
  • Thanks 

so I need to order oysters cards before I travel or can I get them at Gatwick ?
  • You'd be best off asking here
    That forum is full of experts who'll be able to help.

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,072 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just be aware that Oyster cards cost £7 and this is now not refundable. You should factor this in when calculating the overall cost. 

I'm not sure how using a debit card works for more than one person so I suggest you refer to the rail forum site mentioned above. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,173 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Neil49 said:
    I'm not sure how using a debit card works for more than one person so I suggest you refer to the rail forum site mentioned above. 
    You have to use one card per person, you cannot tap multiple times with the same card. 
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    You will probably want to get Oyster cards with the 'young visitor' discount for the children otherwise they will be charged adult fare.

NB Ascot is (a long way) beyond the Oyster/contactless area, so you will need to buy separate tickets for that trip
    If just visiting there is no need to get child tickets, up to four children can travel on TfL services with each adult as long as the adult taps in with a contactless card.
    Best ways for visitors to pay - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)
  • Good point @jon81uk but depends on the age of the children 
    testing 123
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jon81uk said:
    You will probably want to get Oyster cards with the 'young visitor' discount for the children otherwise they will be charged adult fare.

If just visiting there is no need to get child tickets, up to four children can travel on TfL services with each adult as long as the adult taps in with a contactless card.
    Best ways for visitors to pay - Transport for London (tfl.gov.uk)
    Depends how old the children are (only under 11s are free), and no use at Gatwick, as that's not TfL
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback