Best Tariff for night time charging - No EV

Options
2»

Comments

• hardergamer
    Options
    QrizB said:
    dunstonh said:
    I just asked EDF if I can go back on E7, and they said they stopped supplying it, but they do E10 and some other tariffs for EV charging. But UW does E7. https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/energywise/all-you-need-know-about-economy-7
    That is strange as they certainly do supply E7.

I know, as I was on E7 with EDF not too long ago back in 2021, but I was told It's only for existing costumers still on E7 now, who also have the correct smart meter, I even asked them could they put me back on it if I paid for a new smart meter, and they said no. Did you read their own info on their own website I linked? No6 states it.
    That quote from their website is true in the strict sense; they don't install E7 meters (but they do install smart meters that are E7-capable) and they don't have a tariff called "Economy 7" (but they do have E7 rates on pretty much all their conventional electricity tariffs).

Thank you. I will ring them again Monday and ask why they said no, and why the hell they were pushing E10 on me, which sounds good but having 3 hours here and 3 hours there would be too much work (but good off-peak price 9p a unit), they did say they had a tariff that was for storage heater charging (battery bank?) which sounded the same apart from having to abide by max power draw and usage limits when in off-peak times.

What I don't understand is why they then said no, when I was with them on E7 for 20+ years and am still a consumer with them, and also they said they strongly discouraged changing providers and tariffs at them time.
    SW/Devon lat50.3*, Longi half cut cells 2x 400w S/f & 2x 150w SW/f PV. 1500w Reliable Inverter 4.8kwh battery bank, built to charge E-MCycle E-Bike
  • yp70479
    yp70479 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was with British Gas and was told they do Economy 7 but I would need to have a new meter installed (utter rubbish - their customer service reps are useless) and they tried everything they could think of to stop me switching. All you actually need is a second generation smart meter. I changed to Octopus - had to go onto the standard tariff to start with and then moved to Eco 7. It is a bit complicated for them to do, so it took about 3 weeks and a lot of calls, but I can now charge my battery on a cheaper rate. If EDF won't do it - try Octopus. You have to ring up, can't do it on line at the moment.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    yp70479 said:
    I was with British Gas and was told they do Economy 7 but I would need to have a new meter installed (utter rubbish - their customer service reps are useless) and they tried everything they could think of to stop me switching. All you actually need is a second generation smart meter. I changed to Octopus - had to go onto the standard tariff to start with and then moved to Eco 7. It is a bit complicated for them to do, so it took about 3 weeks and a lot of calls, but I can now charge my battery on a cheaper rate. If EDF won't do it - try Octopus. You have to ring up, can't do it on line at the moment.

I've found Octopus customer service excellent compared to most other providers I've used and hope to stay with them prettry well permanently now.  Plus if you know someone else on Octopus you can get a referral credit. Note: we are not allowed to share referral codes on these boards.

Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Oscarmax
    Oscarmax Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    One of the benefits of Octopus’ E7 tariff is that you can sign up for their Agile Outgoing SEG tariff. Even their fixed SEG tariff pays 15p/kWh for exported units.
    That is very interesting our Octopus Go 5p /13.72p end in March 2023, the current Octopus Go 12p/42p for 4 hours compares well against Octopus Eco 7
    12 x 370 Watt J A panels Solis 3.6 invertor. Solax AC invertor and 5.8 triple battery
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback