Income Tax Problems on Second Job

I am looking for some advice.. not sure where to post this, as fairly new to this site. 

Bit of background.. 
I was put on furlough back in April 2020, and was then to be made redundant in the October that year. However, because of the furlough scheme being extended, the redundancy offer was rescinded, my current employer at the time allowed us to have essentially a "safety net" until we found new employment for those of us being made redundant. I started a new job in the November 2020, but continued to stay on the furlough scheme as wasn't sure if the job would be right for me. I ended my employment with the "new" employer in April/May 2021 and was taken back on with the current employer. 

What I'm looking for advice on.. 
My current employer had taxes etc. taken off my wage, and the new employer was not taking tax off. HMRC have contacted me twice now to say I have not paid my tax for the second job, for the few months I was there, and due back around £800 the first time, and second time just over £200. I have tried contacting the "new" employer, but getting absolutely no where with them to find out why they did not take tax off my wages, having known fine well that it was essentially a second job. Who else can I contact if the company I'm trying to reach will not contact me back? I also want to make a complaint against the company, as they had mucked this up, and don't want this to happen to anyone else. 

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    skunner93 said:
    I am looking for some advice.. not sure where to post this, as fairly new to this site. 

Bit of background.. 
    I was put on furlough back in April 2020, and was then to be made redundant in the October that year. However, because of the furlough scheme being extended, the redundancy offer was rescinded, my current employer at the time allowed us to have essentially a "safety net" until we found new employment for those of us being made redundant. I started a new job in the November 2020, but continued to stay on the furlough scheme as wasn't sure if the job would be right for me. I ended my employment with the "new" employer in April/May 2021 and was taken back on with the current employer. 

My current employer had taxes etc. taken off my wage, and the new employer was not taking tax off. HMRC have contacted me twice now to say I have not paid my tax for the second job, for the few months I was there, and due back around £800 the first time, and second time just over £200. I have tried contacting the "new" employer, but getting absolutely no where with them to find out why they did not take tax off my wages, having known fine well that it was essentially a second job. Who else can I contact if the company I'm trying to reach will not contact me back? I also want to make a complaint against the company, as they had mucked this up, and don't want this to happen to anyone else. 
    Assuming that the new employer did run payroll for you and provide payslips, then there would seem to be nothing to raise as a complaint against the new employer.  Did you even give them the information to allow them to work out the tax?  What was on the new starter form that you would have given them instead of P45?
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1106535/Starter_checklist.pdf

You will owe tax and need to submit details to HMRC so that the correct tax can now be calculated - you will need you P45s and P60s covering the period.
  • skunner93 said:

Bit of background.. 

Assuming that the new employer did run payroll for you and provide payslips, then there would seem to be nothing to raise as a complaint against the new employer.  Did you even give them the information to allow them to work out the tax?  What was on the new starter form that you would have given them instead of P45?
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1106535/Starter_checklist.pdf

You will owe tax and need to submit details to HMRC so that the correct tax can now be calculated - you will need you P45s and P60s covering the period.
    I suspect the correct tax has been calculated, £800 for the 2020:21 tax year and an additional £200 for the 2021:22 tax year.

I started a new job in the November 2020, but continued to stay on the furlough scheme as wasn't sure if the job would be right for me. I ended my employment with the "new" employer in April/May 2021 and was taken back on with the current employer. 

I'm equally confused about what the op is upset about.  They seem to have managed, deliberately or not, to get an interest free loan off HMRC!

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    What tax code is shown on your payslips for the 'new employer'?

As you are aware you should pay tax why did you not query at the time?
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What do your payslips for that employment show? And your online tax account?

Contacting the employer is pointless unless you need those payslips 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure