Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Sustainable wedding

Any recommendations when it comes to a sustainable wedding planning?

Thanks

Replies

• k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The most sustainable - don't do it 

Followed closely by run away, find a couple of witnesses, do it in registry office then tell everyone you've done it.

Anything else will have key elements of excess/waste around it
  • diystarter7diystarter7 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    k3lvc said:
    The most sustainable - don't do it 

Followed closely by run away, find a couple of witnesses, do it in registry office then tell everyone you've done it.

Anything else will have key elements of excess/waste around it
    Only spend what you can afford EG, still have a decent amount of money left in savings to see you good for at least a year.

Have a pre-nup agreement better than nothing IMO

Do not try to please others or think what they will think of your big day

I wish you and your OH a long and happy marriage :)
     Before you spend, remember the MSE Money Mantras. Ask yourself, do I need it? Can I afford it? If the answer is no to any of those questions, DON’T buy it.  (Quote from MSE  15/11/22)

Politeness & courtesy are one of the few things in life that are free. Please remember that when posting/etc otherwise I may ignore the unpolite and unconstructive comments. Many thanks.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    33.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Lana811 said:

Thanks
    I'm not sure what you mean by " a sustainable wedding planning"?
    Please explain.
  • diystarter7diystarter7 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Lana811 said:

Thanks
    Take care L
    Have a nice wedding  you must be really busy.

Before you spend, remember the MSE Money Mantras. Ask yourself, do I need it? Can I afford it? If the answer is no to any of those questions, DON’T buy it.  (Quote from MSE  15/11/22)

Politeness & courtesy are one of the few things in life that are free. Please remember that when posting/etc otherwise I may ignore the unpolite and unconstructive comments. Many thanks.
  • Mrs_HuggettMrs_Huggett Forumite
    377 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hire a hall or room in a local pub, and hire vintage china and props etc, use locally produced food and flowers, get local craft beer/cider if you are hiring a dry venue. Make your own decorations from suitable materials that reflect your theme.

• SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    22.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If I think how by Grandparents wedding during WW2 was described to me. Nan walked to Church as it was only a small distance  away.  The reception afterwards, mostly sandwiches as rationing was in by was held at her parents home. 
     Not sure what they did for a cake or flowers as wedding was in Jan so creating a bouquet from a guest's garden wouldn't have happened. Nan's dress was bought with clothing coupons and was short (knee length)due to this, more sustainable still would be to use one already in the family like Princess Beatrice or hire one like Carrie Johnson. Using/hiring/ buying 2nd hand is going to be more sustainable than purchasing new.  Same is true of rings, if there's one in the family to re-use.

Alcohol  for the reception was bought from a nearby pub. I know this story because Grandad shared the same name as a famous actor. His best man also shared  a name that was well known in the sporting world. Grandad and best man weren't local to the area. They were required to sign their names for taking this alcohol away and went to do this the night before the wedding. However when they said them, the landlord kicked them out and refused to serve them for 'being a pair of clowns' . It was left to my Great Grandad (Nan's Dad) to go and sort it out with the landlord - lol. 
  • powerspowerspowerspowers Forumite
    890 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We tried really hard to buy all wedding clothing second hand as it is a complete waste to spend hundreds/thousands on something you wear once and I was wary of where a wedding dress would be made/working conditions etc. we mostly managed- my dress was vintage, bridesmaids dresses were off eBay, 5 matching groomsmen/pageboy suits were all second hand but we bought husbands new because he is a large size and couldn’t find one. It takes a bit more work and you can’t be too specific with what your wishes are but there is loads a good quality 2nd hand wear out there. Alternatively wear things you already own but that wasn’t for us!

My other green plan was to grow my own flowers but that failed. I did pick some from relatives gardens but also ended up buying reduced flowers from every supermarket around here the day before. We did have a lot of flowers though and I think just taking the punt that there would be gorgeous flowers no matter what they were. 

Good luck with the wedding planning, do you have a date in mind?
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 / £7,200 target 

33.1K Posts
    Forumite
    I believe this member's profile has been banned.
    They made a number of posts and I reported it on the Spam thread on Site Feedback board.
    Pollycat said:
    Advertising (and necroposting):
    Lana811's Profile — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:
    They made a number of posts and I reported it on the Spam thread on Site Feedback board.
    Pollycat said:

Useful - always wondered when the follow-up posts were going to appear offering a companies services  
    33.1K Posts
    Forumite
    k3lvc said:
    Pollycat said:
    Pollycat said:

Useful - always wondered when the follow-up posts were going to appear offering a companies services  
    I have the spam thread bookmarked.
    Spam threads and posts don't last long once shared on there. 😃