Can I claim the £1250 Marriage Tax Allowance?

in Cutting tax
3 replies 142 views
Fable1506Fable1506 Forumite
22 Posts
Second Anniversary 10 Posts
Apologies in advance if I'm been dim....

I'm 70 years old, retired, married and have state pension plus a drawdown pension from which I take £900 a month and the very occasional one off for bills, holidays.
My wife is a carer for our daughter who is on full DLA and she spends 90%-95% of her time living at our daughters home - approx 12 miles away. My daughter is a single parent with a school age child.

Because of this she uses our daughter's address as her home address.

As a full time carer she gets approx £70 a week.

My question is am I entitled to claim the £1250 MTA ? Although needs must we live apart I'm at my daughter's every day ( they like my cooking, I'm told ! LOL ) . I'm just not sure that I am entitled to claim it ( although it would be handy! ) as she lives most of her time at our daughter's home, not ours.


Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android


Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools