Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

Spending a USD prepaid card

SoozyJ22SoozyJ22 Forumite
3.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
A well known survey site has sent me a virtual prepaid card for $10.20 instead of the usual points I receive. Does anyone have any idea how I could use this to best effect?

I was wondering about trying to top up my Amazon balance but I'd have to take an educated guess as to the GBP equivalent to try and use as much as possible. 

Any better ideas out there? 

Replies

• SoozyJ22SoozyJ22 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the responses  ;)  I thought I'd give an update in case anyone's interested in the future. 

I went ahead and tried topping up my Amazon account and it was even easier than expected. After telling Amazon that the card was in USD (It recognised it as foreign but asked me to confirm the currency) it displayed the price to pay in USD and added a small fee (about 25p or maybe 25c) to guarantee the conversion rate. After a couple of small tweaks to the GBP top up amount I managed to get the USD amount to 1c less than the balance on the card and the top up was successful 
  • dcfc67dcfc67 Forumite
    387 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    glad you sorted it out