Renting out home gym?

Hope it's okay to ask this here, potentially it could be something that will boost your income if I can make this happen.

I'm nearing the completition of a website that is basically an Airbnb site for home gyms. I'm here to ask two questions of you guys so that I can decide whether to take the project any further. 

1. If you have a home gym or some equipment and space to use some weights would you consider renting it out to boost your income?
2. Would you consider renting someones home gym rather than go to a commercial gym?

Comments

• diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    No and no.
    Not worth the trouble to rent out, ie advertising cost, insurance and type of people coming into ones home.
    If I wanted a gym I'd build my own and or go one that catered to the public.
  • Hope it's okay to ask this here, potentially it could be something that will boost your income if I can make this happen.

I'm nearing the completition of a website that is basically an Airbnb site for home gyms. I'm here to ask two questions of you guys so that I can decide whether to take the project any further. 

1. If you have a home gym or some equipment and space to use some weights would you consider renting it out to boost your income?
    2. Would you consider renting someones home gym rather than go to a commercial gym?
    1. Probably not, I could see complications with insurance, health and safety etc
    2. Possibly, yes if it was nicely kitted out and more convenient than other alternatives with appropriate safety considerations etc
  • If I had the money to have a home gym, I probably wouldn't be fussed with the hassle of renting it out for a few quid to randoms

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    no and no.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    no and no.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Definitely no to both.

Apart from aspects above, I don't want to have to keep the house immaculate, can't guarantee not being 'closed' for holidays etc and don't really like people in my home, that was even if we had space for a gym.
    💙💛 💔
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,863 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Does the use of someone else's home gym include access to showers?  Changing space?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Renting out your home gym is going to be a nightmare for planning permission, home insurance, mortgage etc, in a very similar way to AirB&B can be... many will sign up without knowing the rules and some will get unstuck. Came across a £350,000 house fire claim decline due to the fact they'd be using the property for AirB&B which wasnt declared on their home insurance.

If the site it about finished then you are really too late to be doing your market research. I'd hope you've had proper legal advice and put all the proper advice on your website to try and limit your liability... the forementioned policyholders were intending to sue AirB&B. 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 November 2022 at 11:40AM
    It's a no from me - I wouldn't want strangers in using my equipment - an airbnb flat is different - you have it decorated/suited to the market, and you generally don't live in it. Decent home gym equipment is expensive - I wouldn't want the risk of someone else damaging it. If I damage it that's up to me, but I'd be narked if someone else did (even if unintentionally). I would also see issues around mortgages and insurance as well. Oh and to add, those with substantial home gyms probably wouldn't need the extra £2.50 a session you'd be offering them to allow people into their homes and using their stuff. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Also, from the renter's perspective - gym memberships round here go for around £30/month of £5 pay as you go.

So to go for the "airbnb" gym option, I suppose it would have to be a lot less, given that a home gym is unlikely to offer the full services of a proper gym (pool, sauna, showers etc). So that means it's not going to be very lucrative for the home gym owner.

I just can't see it being an attractive option for either party.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback