Private Dining - Tipping Etiquette

Options
I am organising a surprise party for my Wife's 50th Birthday and it will be a private dining event in a hotel.

What is the protocol for tipping after the event?

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I had a meeting with the Event Coordinator this afternoon and I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask what the protocol was, only to be met with the response "I don't know."
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who is paying the bill? For our family events it’s whoever pays the bill but not usually at 10% due to the high number of wine and alcohol involved.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    I am paying the bill.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well, I had a meeting with the Event Coordinator this afternoon and I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask what the protocol was, only to be met with the response "I don't know."

Odd - I'm sure they must have been asked before. Is there a service charge? Can they tell you how many servers there will be? Then you could prepare to tip them in cash (may need to obtain some fivers...)
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What would the staff be doing if they weren't waiting on your event? If it is a hotel where normally the staff would be serving at events eg weddings, they wouldn't normally be tipped. If they would be serving paying guests in the restaurant then they would be tipped, so I would tip
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 November 2022 at 6:38PM
    Options
    In a similar situation, I paid the bill by card and left a tip in cash at the same time. Can’t remember how much though. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.

I agree that you'd expect the Event Coordinator would have been asked before.
    There is a service charge.

It is a hotel so I assume these staff are brought in for each event and not the same staff that would be in the restaurant.  The comparison with weddings is probably a fair one - although this is a much smaller event, we will have a function suite and the servers will present prosecco on arrival, then guide us through to the next room for dining and then do the birthday cake later in the afternoon.

I actually asked my Brother has both his Daughters got married in the past year and he said he did not tip for anyone at either event.  He also mentioned that when my Nieces worked as waitresses for an events venue, they very rarely got any tips, so much so that they mentioned it if as a big thing if they did get tipped.

I think I am decided not to tip.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Options
    Just to update on this, we had the lunch event for my wife's 50th this weekend.

The event well but, for me as the organiser, I found the service rather wanting, especially with long pregnant pauses between courses.  I had to work quite hard to keep prompting the contact (who changed several times through the afternoon) to keep things moving forwards.

So, it wasn't really service worthy of a tip.  Given the service charge already included, I definitely wasn't about to tip on top.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback