Mortgage Completed but Issues Remain

2»

Comments

• JMA74
    JMA74 Posts: 264
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You are indeed correct. I misunderstood that the offence only takes place if there is an intent to cause detriment.   

Thank you for the correction
    I am a Mortgage Adviser 
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • JPin
    JPin Posts: 188
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Cptralls said:
    JPin said:
    JMA74 said:
    Cptralls said:
    My understanding is that £100 for a data protection breach (assuming the mortgage company is to blame) is the minimum that would be paid, there are certainly examples of much higher figures. 
    you are correct that a lot more could be paid for a breach.  But there has been no impact to OP here. No loss has been noted.  And even if it gets delivered to the old address, it is an offence for that post to be opened. 

So really a £100 apology feels like a fair result
    The post was opened to my knowledge, and that is how I became aware of the breach - BOI did not spot it. Unsure of exactly what implications that may have down the line.
    In that case £100 is too low.
    What is a more realistic offer? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport