Do I need to have a raillcard at the time of buying my ticket .. or just at the time of travel ?

Options
As the title says ..

Do I need to have a railcard at the time of buying my ticket .. or just at the time of travel ?

I want to book now, a journey for my wife and me to travel to London early in December, which will obviously be cheaper with a 'Two Together' card, but was wondering if it would be OK to buy (without the actual card) then get the card nearer the time.

Comments

• MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,223 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    If you buy the tickets online, there will be no issue buying the tickets now and obtaining the railcard nearer the time.

However, when buying at a ticket office they may insist on seeing the railcard. This happened to me yesterday when buying tickets for a complicated last-minute group travel transaction when one of the railcard holders had not yet arrived at the station and we only had a few minutes to spare till the train left.  I bought the tickets covered by the two railcard holders who were present, and bought the third set of tickets from the ticket vending machine on the platform.
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport