Car insurance default.

Bit embarrassed to be posting this but here goes…..
 My wife arranged insurance with the finance agreement set up with close brothers finance. She used an email that she rarely checks. 

I accidentally deleted the direct debit thinking it was an old one. We missed the payment on 3rd October. They emailed wife on 14th telling her that they would ‘send a letter shortly’ outlining what happens next. Yesterday we found out that close brothers had cancelled the agreement and issued a default on her file. 

Is this right for one missed payment? Seems very harsh. We accept our error, but I thought defaults were when a few payments were missed?

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Has the insurance been cancelled? That will be a much longer impact than anything loaded to a credit reference agency.

Finance linked to insurance tends to have very low tolerance to non-payment compared to general finance but then unlike a loan or car finance its very simple for them to cut their losses by terminating the insurance and most react quickly to that threat given it generally has to be declared for life. 
  • BRB881
    BRB881 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    Has the insurance been cancelled? That will be a much longer impact than anything loaded to a credit reference agency.

Finance linked to insurance tends to have very low tolerance to non-payment compared to general finance but then unlike a loan or car finance its very simple for them to cut their losses by terminating the insurance and most react quickly to that threat given it generally has to be declared for life. 
    Hi, yes it’s been cancelled. Thankfully direct line have offered us a policy. Apparently they only worry about cancellation if it happened due to fraud or misrepresentation. We were honest and upfront about the situation. It’s slightly more expensive than our previous policy but still reasonable. 

At the moment the default is our biggest issue as this seems like a very heavy handed approach for a payment that was 21 days late! 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 October 2022 at 12:21PM
    BRB881 said:

Is this right for one missed payment? Seems very harsh. We accept our error, but I thought defaults were when a few payments were missed?

Those terms only apply to agreements governed by the consumer credit act.

An insurance policy does not fall into this category, so the insurer can default the account for non-payment under the terms and conditions of that insurance policy.

You would have agreed to this when you took the policy out.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • BRB881
    First Post
    BRB881 said:

An insurance policy does not fall into this category, so the insurer can default the account for non-payment under the terms and conditions of that insurance policy.

Hi, the credit agreement is covered by CCA- I checked this. 
  • sourcrates
    BRB881 said:
    BRB881 said:

And what does your agreement say about when a default can be applied?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • BRB881
    First Post
    BRB881 said:
    BRB881 said:

Sadly it does say that they can be applied after one failed payment 
  • sourcrates
    BRB881 said:
    BRB881 said:
    BRB881 said:

Sadly it does say that they can be applied after one failed payment 
    Yep, that is usually the case.

Section 87 of the consumer credit act states that any breech must be remedied within 14 days.

If you fail to comply, they can take further action against you, which they did in the form of a default on your credit file.

Unfortunatly defaults are almost impossible to have removed, unless it was added erroneously.
  • BRB881
    First Post
    Update- I contacted close brothers today via email. I explained our eerie, apologises and also outlined the genuine stress that the default had created. To our amazement we received an email back telling us me that the default will be removed. Absolutely gobsmacked 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback