Today - Connecting train cancelled - help

Options
Committed to travel today, have two children with me. One of my trains has been cancelled preventing me getting to destination via the planned route. This are full paid tickets (not split fares).
On the app it says I can use the next train but that will leave us on the station overnight as all trains to that station are cancelled today (only got notification this morning).

There is an alternative route but I don’t think my tickets would be valid as it goes via Birmingham not Newport 😞 

Do they have any obligation to get us to our destination or can we be expected to stay on the platform
overnight? I have Halifax bank account insurance but not sure if that helps me. 

Seems such late notice. Can any one advise please? Thankyou

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,587 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 26 October 2022 at 8:28AM
    Options
    Some journey details are always helpful with queries such as this.  Route, operator and times.

However this provide details of your rights, paragraph 28, page 19:

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National%20Rail%20Conditions%20of%20Travel.pdf
  • Moneybox
    Moneybox Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thankyou. Do all train operators fall within national railway? My trains are Great Western and Travel Wales.

Calmer now I have found although no later train connections (which was offered) I can get earlier train which just leaves me with small inconvenience of 90mins on platform but no problem compared to overnight.

This is using the same networks as the alternative was taking me on a cross country route which I imagined my tickets would not be considered.

Hoping by taking earlier connection train doesn’t create a problem. Seems
    reasonable and within the policy you sent.

Thankyou for your help. Fingers crossed today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback