Longterm DMP advice and support needed

So I've recently had my lightbulb moment and have done the work to go through step changes process to get help and after everything the recommended solution is a DMP. My only hesitation is that it will be for 13 years 7 months. Obviously I know it'll be worth it in the long term and that's such a long time that I could come upon lump sums along the way that I could use to pay off large amounts. I just wondered if anyone on here has been through a long term DMP or is currently on one and would be able to share their experiences.

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What are your circumstances, homeowner/non homeowner?

How much debt do you have?
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • LemonHead0102LemonHead0102 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

I'm a homeowner with a mortgage. I've got 24.5k in debt.
  • edited 21 October 2022 at 2:08PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 21 October 2022 at 2:08PM

I'm a homeowner with a mortgage. I've got 24.5k in debt.
    Well, a DMP is your only real choice then, 13 years is a long time, but in reality, it may not last that long, because normally after a few months of debt management, most creditors will sell your accounts on to debt purchasing companies such as PRA Group/Lowell/Cabot etc etc.

They buy accounts in bulk, and for a fraction of their face value, so after a while of paying them, the discount offers should start arriving, not all of them offer big discounts, but most do as they like to clear their decks every now and then, given time and a fair wind, you may be able to settle some or all accounts for a substantial discount, which in turn can knock years off your DMP.

So, don`t be downhearted at this juncture, the first hurdle is to get them all to stop interest, and to save a good emergency fund, this is usually done by non-payment for a few months, this encourages defaults, and fills the emergency pot coffers somewhat.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • R.j.BelcherR.j.Belcher Forumite
    24 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    I am on a SMP that takes me to 2031. I can see how that long a period can seem daunting. Thing was I never thought I would ever pay off my debts before the DMP. Things may change in your life though in that period. We have decided that in the next 3 years we will sell up in the south and move north. We will be mortgage and debt free then and hopefully have a better quality of life, just waiting for 55 to come along!