🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tax treatment of Teacher's Pension Refund due to Goodwin Ruling

Options

Comments

• Leslob
    Leslob Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone had this completely resolved?
    First they assumed that I would be getting the lump sum every year, so raised my tax code for  to pay for it.
    A phone call sorted that.
    Then they sent me a new tax code, but only informed one of my pension companies.
    Another phone call resolved that.
    Then they assumed that the lump sum was all included in my taxable income and upped my tax into the higher tax band.
    I sent them the annual breakdown, which was marked as received 28th August. After 2 months without hearing from them I phoned and was told that it would be handled before 17th January.
    About the 17th January the status changed from "Received" to "In Progress".
    Nothing since.
  • lib21by
    lib21by Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that I am satisfactorily resolved to the extent that HMRC have never replied to the three letters that I sent to them, but tax codings received since then, for the remains of 2023/2024 and for 2024/2025, have completely backed down from their statement in the Autumn that I owed them a large amount of money. So I shall keep an eye on my monthly tax deductions, and expect that you will be doing the same. Fingers crossed. 
  • Leslob
    Options
    They never replied to my letter, but the "received" status, on the web site, acknowleged that they had got something.
    It is still showing as "in progress". When I rang them, about 3 weeks ago, they said it would be resolved in March.
    The site is still saying that I owe them the money.
  • Leslob
    Options
    They have finally replied to my letter. No explanation but they still want the money.
  • mybestattempt
    mybestattempt Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Leslob said:
    They have finally replied to my letter. No explanation but they still want the money.

What exactly does the letter from HMRC say, is there no reference at all about the pension arrears?

• Leslob
    Options
    It's just a repeat of the original assessment. The Teacher's pension showing as £47.
  • Leslob
    Options
    £47 thousand!
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Leslob said:
    It's just a repeat of the original assessment. The Teacher's pension showing as £47.
    If you are referring to a Simple Assessment then mhat might have been issued for a different reason.

Have a look at the Closure of queries and appeals section here.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/paye-manual/paye96345
  • mybestattempt
    mybestattempt Posts: 141 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Leslob said:

If it is a simple assessment situation and this latest letter is a decision it should tell you how to make an appeal.

https://www.gov.uk/check-simple-assessment
  • Leslob
    Options
    But this was my appeal, against the decision they made last year.
    I'll give the pension company another ring next week and see if they have any more ideas, and probably ring HMRC as well - but am not  expecting anything usefull.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure