PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Enamel, Pyrex or Metal? Advise please

Options
I need to replace my worn out nonstick baking trays and pie dish. I was thinking of getting some enamel pie dishes and roaster. What's best though in terms of all round use? 

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I went for Pyrex roasting dishes personally, takes a bit longer to heat up compared to metal baking trays, but can scrub them without too much worry.

I haven’t used enamel tho
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    It's enamel for us. Light to handle, robust and bake things beautifully. 
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    my only problem with pyrex is when i'm making a round loaf. the bottom just doesn't crust no matter what i do. i think it's because its slower to heat? but the bottom goes like the edges of roles when you pull them apart. but it depends on what you want to use it for. is there a chance you will want to cook something then put it in the freezer and take it out and put it in the microwave or oven? if so metal limits your choices and you can get some good pyrex style dishes with lids that you can put move directly from freezer to oven. was really good when i used to use the big oven but really not much use now i'm using a mini oven and air fryer most of the time. 
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 October 2022 at 8:36AM
    Options
    It’s horses for courses. Enamel is fine for casseroles.  Something like Yorkshire pud needs metal, Pyrex is fine for pastry, casseroles.  I’ve only ever used metal for cakes so I don’t  know how well the others would work.
  • CheeseScone
    Options
    The thing with Pyrex is it's heavy and bulky. I like enamel but not being able to reheat in the microwave is a drawback🤔
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have metal trays for baking cakes, bread and Yorkshire puds.

pyrex is heavier, especially when filled with a chicken or even filled with veg, so then I need two hands to take it out.  But as it’s glass I can scrub it with pretty much whatever I want.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Vitreous enamel for roasting, aluminium for baking, Pyrex for casseroles.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • florianatwobob
    Options
    Enamel and Pyrex for me depending on the job
    ✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅(DSis🏅)
    👗Fashion on the Ration coupons = 50/66 (5 coupons, 5 pairs of socks| 6 coupons, dungarees | 5 coupons, blouse)

✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
    👗Fashion on the Ration 2023

✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️   ⭐️
    👗Fashion on the Ration 2022

✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅
    👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback