PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Books/blogs etc to hammer the message home

Options
I am taking on my debts, have written a budget which is realistic etc but I still want to buy things.

Are there any books/blogs etc you can recommend to help me get from a spending to a saving and old style mindset?

I ca be v frugal but that's normally only when the money has gone, I want to be frugal from the start so I always have money left - but feel continually like I've 'earnt' a treat.

Until I rein this in nothing will change . . 

:eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What are you spending on? Clothes ,home decor, foodie treats or eating out?
    I found becoming minimal by doing Marie Kondo decluttering means I don’t have the urge to buy things as I no longer wish to own excess !!! 
    I wish I had done it years ago .
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • TinaBallerina
    Options
    Beckstar1975 I still struggle with the urge to buy things, so I cannot claim any sort of foolproof success but I found a book called The Year of Less by Cait Flanders a few years ago in January when I was trying to curb my spending after Christmas.  I now read it every January and this year I read it again in July as my urge to spend was increasing again.  I got it when it was 99p on my kindle so I don't have the physical book cluttering up my bookcase.  I don't take it as far as Cait did in her journey (she got rid of most of her possessions) but it's enough to give me a nudge and refocus my mind on "I want to save money rather than spend it" and "do I really need this?".
  • Nonnadiluca
    Options
    Agree with TinaBallerina, that's a good book to make you think about why you spend. I read it for free, borrowed it on Borrowbox.
    One thing I find helpful is to think about what else that amount of money could do for me, after all, you can only spend it once and maybe having the money available for something more valuable to you in the future, or just the peace of mind having a bit of money behind you, might make the shiny new thing less desirable.
    Good luck!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • beckstar1975
    Options
    Ooh thank you all, some great ideas. I pertain to be very eco and know from an academic point of view that we need to consume less for both financial and environmental reasons yet I still have 9 different bottles of shampoo and 13 different shower gels in the bathroom alone.

I need to identify what I think buying things is really going to fix and then find other ways to scratch the itch, as it were
    :eek::eek::eek: LBM 11/05/2010 - WE DID IT - DMP of £62000 paid off in 7 years:jDFD April2017
  • flamingo747
    Options
    @TinaBallerina I borrowed that book from the library app and binge read it in one afternoon,  it was awesome :)
    Married 40y.o. mum of an autistic 11y.o. Carer/SAHM.
    OS '24 Fashion On The Ration: 0(34 preloved)/67 coupons used - OS '24 Declutter Challenge: 633/500 items gone 🏅 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 - Now aiming for 750!
    Feb GC: (1st-29th inc) £161.45/£495
     ((OS 2023 Decluttering: 740 items 🏅 🏅 🏅  🌟 . OS 2023 Fashion on the ration: 14/15 used))

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't recommend a book but many people on these boards look on money saving/frugality as a challenge. I do appreciate though that there are many for whom it's a necessity. ☹️ Personally I like to choose what I spend my hard earned money on and refuse to be conned out of it by slick advertising and false offers. 

I'd recommend a spending diary to write down everything you spend. Just doing it seems to curb spending. Review it regularly to see where you've 'wasted' money.

Take an inventory of your cupboards, fridge and freezer and 'shop' from there before adding anything else to your shopping list. Write a meal plan for the week and be disciplined when you shop. Try to shop just once a week and use Aldi or Lidl. The following week, try to leave it for 8 days.

Give yourself a challenge of using up the toiletries you have in stock before buying any more. 

If you find you miss retail therapy as a treat then browse the charity shops as it'll cost you far less than full price.

Ask yourself, before you buy anything, 'Is this a want or a need?'. 😊
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Madbat60 said:
    Being in debt sucks the life out of you.  I've always been frugal but then I would just think stuff it and spend and spend.  What really helped me was stopping and thinking about whether I really wanted something and did I need it.  Wants and needs are different.  Take one habit and work on it.  For example, if you buy lots of magazines buy yourself one and enjoy it.  Read the rest online.  Takeaways and convenience foods cost a fortune, learn to batch cook and portion stuff in your freezer.  Save your washing for a day when you can hang it on the line.  Good luck to you 😊
    Such a good post and one that i live by too 👍
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ooh thank you all, some great ideas. I pertain to be very eco and know from an academic point of view that we need to consume less for both financial and environmental reasons yet I still have 9 different bottles of shampoo and 13 different shower gels in the bathroom alone.

I need to identify what I think buying things is really going to fix and then find other ways to scratch the itch, as it were
    That last sentence is key, isn't it.

When i'm at a low/weak point i make sure i don't come online on Sundays as i know i could spend money !
    I force myself to do other activities instead - outside when the weathers' nice or force myself to sit down and watch things i've recorded on the tv instead !

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback