Advice Please - Quite Complicated!

SallyUKSallyUK Forumite
2.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hello everyone
I need some advice on something that has come as a bit of a surprise.
Two weeks ago I was sent a letter from a company called Resolvecall who stated that they needed to get in touch with me about a Credit card debt of £3300 for M and S.
I used to live in Scotland and while I lived there, my ex husband disappeared without trace and forged my signature on a lot of credit card applications and loans. However, I moved from Scotland to live in England in 2004, and ever since then I've not had any kind of contact from any company or loan company. 

So you can imagine how surprised I was to get this first letter two weeks ago, and then  another one arrived last week.

Yesterday, I arrived home from work and there was a card through the door saying that someone from the company had called that day to my property!

Please can someone advise me what to do as I don't want them turning up at the house again. I haven't been in touch with this company, nor do I have a clue what they are chasing me for. 

Thanks 

Replies

• MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi,

What I would do is contact Resolvecall to ask for more details. For example, what is going on, why are they chasing you and can they provide proof of their claim on you. You say you don't have a clue what they are chasing you for and you need to tell them that.

They are debt collectors and their details are here - https://resolvecall.co.uk/why-we-are-contacting-you/

They give a number to call if you are not the person they are looking for, so it seems that what has happened to you must obviously be a common occurrence.

If your ex husband has taken out credit in your name then he is guilty of fraud as well as identity fraud and needs reporting, wherever he may be. Police have ways and means of finding 'lost' people but that isn't really your concern. I'd report the matter to the police.

I wouldn't ignore correspondence from Resolvecall, as I said but just contact them and get it all sorted out. Let them know that you have no intention of repaying anyone else's debts. 

Also, if you haven't already, it would be worth checking your credit reports (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion) to see if your ex-husband is still connected to you via your credit history. You can have a 'notice of dissociation' placed on file, per the information in the following link -

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/news/is-your-ex-harming-your-credit-score/
  • EssexHebrideanEssexHebridean Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'd send them the Prove It letter personally - you'll find it in the pinned post at the top of the board, along with some detail on do's and don't around it. 

Even if it did turn out that they were chasing a debt that was once legitimate, it would be statute barred now in any event! 

Certainly don't phone them - IMO that would just give them another route to  make themselves a nuisance on! 

If they DO come back with information that shows your ex had indeed forged your signature, then you should contact the Police/ActionFraud , but the debt will remain statute barred regardless and you would then follow up with that letter. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016 🎉
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    2022 "Gym Neutral Fund" - £112.67/£330 (Membership taken 24/1/22)🏋🏻♀️ 2022/23 Gym cost per use: at 20/01/23 £6.60 per visit! (50) 🏋🏻♀️
    she/her
  • edited 5 October 2022 at 7:23PM
    sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 5 October 2022 at 7:23PM
    Resolvecall are one of those old style DCA`s who still knock on doors.
    If you search this forum, you will find tons of threads and advice on how to deal with them.

They usually perform tricks on behalf of Arrow Global, are they mentioned at all anywhere?

As you lived in Scotland at the time, the agreement will be governed by Scottish law, and would have been extinguished or prescribed after 5 years, so in Scottish law, this debt no longer exists, and they are actually breaking the law by attempting collection activity on it.

You may want to make a note of that, as it may serve you better by going straight in with the prescribed letter, which can be found here -

Sample Letter - Time has run out to recover the debt | Sample letter | Scotland | National Debtline

You just need to edit it to your circumstances.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • TripleHTripleH Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'd send the prove it letter and see what they come back with. I'd keep the point about possible breach of law to yourself for now (only in case your ex has done a more recent fast one.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • AndyjfletAndyjflet Forumite
    463 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If its many years then don't call them, send a Prove it letter and see what they come back with. It could be years out of fate and they are trying their luck. 
    Baby Step 1 - £5896.47 saved for emergency fund STORM MODEBaby Step 2MBNA 0% £6775.50
  • peteukpeteuk Forumite
    771 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The quickest way to start this is by phoning them.  I would be I would be very precise in what I am after.  Ensure that you ask them not to record your telephone number on the account and ask them to put a hold on the account whilst you take further actions.  Ask them to contact you in writing only and tell them as you have contacted them the door knocking should ceases. 

Once you have the details of the debt advise them you dont recognise it and that you will be sending a prove it or timed out letter (depending on the debt) 

We were once contacted by a debt management company for a debt in my. First name and my wife’s maiden name, as an address we once lived in.  They had traced us as the likely debtors to our new address.  The fact that that name given was never a real person helped. 
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite
    26.3K Posts
    Forumite
    peteuk said:
    The quickest way to start this is by phoning them.  I would be I would be very precise in what I am after.  Ensure that you ask them not to record your telephone number on the account and ask them to put a hold on the account whilst you take further actions.  Ask them to contact you in writing only and tell them as you have contacted them the door knocking should ceases. 

Once you have the details of the debt advise them you dont recognise it and that you will be sending a prove it or timed out letter (depending on the debt) 

We were once contacted by a debt management company for a debt in my. First name and my wife’s maiden name, as an address we once lived in.  They had traced us as the likely debtors to our new address.  The fact that that name given was never a real person helped. 
    The problem with this, is that Resolvecall will not own the debt, as I said above, they usually work on behalf of Arrow Global, as well as other debt purchasing companies, all Resolvecall do is attempt collection on their client's behalf, so will have very little in the way of information and you will be none the wiser as to the debt's actual status.

Phoning a debt collector is never a recommended thing to do, as their call handlers are trained to extract payment from you, and not much else, you can get tongue tied, fall for their spiel, confused, unsure of your position, and the next thing you know, you're giving them your debt card number, so no, I would do everything in writing where these matters are concerned, for your own protection.
    Ex MSE Board Guide.

More than a third of IVA`s fail....fact.
    Could A Debt Relief Order help you ?
    Never pay a fee for a Debt Management Plan.
    For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.