PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Heating while away from home

Options
Looks like I'll need to head away from home for a few weeks later on this month. I'll need to leave the heating on both to make sure nothing freezes if there's a cold snap and to stop the house getting musty. Of course it's getting more expensive, though!

What would you do with the heating? On a shorter trip I'd normally just leave it permanently on with the thermostat set to about 12C. Would using a timer be more efficient, though? And would something like 15C make more sense for a longer trip?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I had to go away during a cold spell and just had the timer set to do 15 minute bursts, one about 5am and a couple late evening. Also meant my home didn't have that "not been lived in" feel wheni returned.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We regularly go away for a month at a time.  When it's cold we leave it on 12C as that is what most insurance companies advise.  Unless it's extremely cold it's unlikely to actually fire up the CH.

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 October 2022 at 8:28AM
    Options
    We are going away for three months and our insurance company wants our heating set at 15 degrees for 24 hours a day.  That’s more than we have it when we are at home but at least the outside doors will not be open and all windows shut so heat should not escape…much.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback